Skip to main content
Office of the Registrar

Dartmouth College
Office of the Registrar
6014 McNutt Hall
Hanover, NH 03755-3541

Phone: (603) 646-2246
Fax: (603) 646-2247
Email: registrar@Dartmouth.EDU

Completing the Online Course Assessment - Answers to Commonly Asked Questions

How do I get to the online assessment form?

  • To access the online assessment form go to the following address: Login to Banner Web. From the Student Main Menu, select Course Assessment. Course Assessment is only available on certain dates during the term. Click here to see a schedule of when course assessment is available.

What should I do if I am being asked to assess a course I am not taking?

  • If you click on ‘Course Assessment’ on the Banner Student main menu for your school you will see a list of courses for which you are registered. If a course appears in the list and you believe that you are not enrolled in that course, contact the Registrar’s office for your school immediately.

Do all courses require a course assessment?

  • Some courses are not eligible for course assessment. These courses will appear in your list of registered courses and in the status column it will indicate “No Assessment Required.” They include off-campus study, independent study, honors, research and thesis courses.

What if I am taking a course at a different school?

  • If you are taking a course at a school other than the school you are enrolled in, you may or may not be required to assess the course. At this time only Dartmouth undergraduate, graduate and Thayer Engineering courses require assessment. If you are not enrolled at Dartmouth College or the Thayer School of Engineering but are taking a course at one of those schools, you will NOT be required to complete a course assessment for that course before you can view your grades.

Do I assess my Senior Fellowship or Senior Thesis?

  • Senior Fellowships, thesis and honors courses, independent studies and other individualized courses are not assessed using the online Courses Assessment system.

Do I assess my PE courses?

  • Physical Education courses are not assessed using the online Course Assessment system. If you would like to assess a PE course please contact the Athletic director.

What do I do if I find an error on the course assessment form?

  • If you find an error, typo or other mistake on a form, please contact the Office of the Registrar by emailing Registrar.

I am a graduate student. Do I participate?

  • Yes. Graduate courses will be integrated into the online assessment system beginning in Winter Term 2007.

I was on an LSA or FSP; do I assess my courses using this online system?

  • The Off-Campus Programs office requires you to complete a separate assessment of your LSA or FSP experience so you do not use this system to assess your courses. Your off-campus program courses will appear on the course assessment list with a status of "No assessment required."

Can I use a paper form instead of online?

  • No. There is currently no paper form available for completing a course assessment. However, during the test phase some departments/programs may ask you to complete a paper assessment form in addition to the online form.

Is it possible to assess the same course more than once?

  • No, a course can be assessed one time only.

Can I change my mind about an assessment?

  • No, once you have submitted a course assessment it is impossible to retrieve due to the anonymity of the process.

How do I know if my course assessment was successfully submitted?

  • When an online assessment has been successfully submitted, you will notice that the option to submit an assessment on your course list will have been removed. This tells you that the assessment has been successfully submitted.

What if my computer crashed before I submit my assessment?

  • As long as you have not pressed “Submit” then your assessment has not been sent. In the event of a system crash, however, you will have lost the responses that you had already begun prior to the crash.

Can I complete course assessments from off-campus?

  • Yes. Since this is an online assessment, it can be completed from any computer where you have a connection to Banner Web for Student.

Why aren’t all my courses listed?

  • Verify that all your courses should be included in the list. Laboratory and discussion sections, as well as P.E., Tuck, and Medical School courses are not included in the list of courses that you will see. If one of your courses is not listed and does not fall into one of these categories, then you should contact the Registrar’s Office.

Do I have to answer all the questions on the assessment form?

  • No, you may answer only the questions you choose to answer. However, you must answer at least one question after section I to successfully complete the assessment.

What if I don’t want to assess a course?

  • You are not required to assess a course. However, if you do not use the online assessment tool, you will need to wait until the fifth day of the next term to be able to view your grades online.

I clicked on the submit button and got a "page not found" or other error message.

  • If you are not able to successfully submit the course assessment form, contact the Office of the Registrar by emailing Registrar.

What if I still have a question that is not answered here?

  • If you have additional questions please contact the Registrar by emailing Registrar.


Last Updated: 7/20/12