Skip to main content
Office of the Registrar

Dartmouth College
Office of the Registrar
6014 McNutt Hall
Hanover, NH 03755-3541

Phone: (603) 646-2246
Fax: (603) 646-2247
Email: registrar@Dartmouth.EDU

Student Name Change Guide

Legal name changes for current undergraduate students:
Come to the Registrar's Office and submit all 3 of the following:

  1. a notarized Affidavit for Legal Name Change (PDF form)
  2. a legal document such as a court order (copies are acceptable)
  3. a picture ID such as a driver's license (copies are acceptable)

The Registrar's Office will make copies for your Dartmouth file, change the legal name in Banner, and inform all relevant offices.

Name changes are made in the Banner system for current, active students and transgender alumni only. Graduated and inactive students may contact the Office of Alumni Affairs about name changes in the Alumni system.


Preferred Name for transgender students:
A transgender student may indicate a preferred name at Dartmouth to appear on the Dartmouth ID card, class rosters, and in the DND. Students seeking to use a preferred name take the following steps:

  1. Contact the Director of the Office of Pluralism and Leadership (OPAL) or the Assistant Dean for LGBTQA+ students to discusses pertinent information related to preferred name usage at Dartmouth
  2. Following the meeting with OPAL, come to the Registrar's Office to initiate the addition of a preferred name
  3. Hand in their old ID at the Dartmouth Card Office, and receive a new one showing the preferred name (there is no charge for this replacement)

The Registrar's Office will enter the preferred name into Banner and contact all relevant offices. Students who request an ID with a non-legal name agree that it will only be used for Dartmouth related activities and not as proof of identity for governmental purposes.

Preferred name changes are made in the Banner system for current, active students only.

Last Updated: 8/15/18