The Office of Publications within Dartmouth's Office of Public Affairs is committed to supporting Dartmouth's mission of providing undergraduate, graduate, and professional education of the highest quality. It supports that mission through the creation, on behalf of and in cooperation with College departments and offices, of effective, attractive, high-quality communications vehicles - both print and electronic - that reflect the College's special character and commitment to excellence.
Consistent with its mission, the Office of Publications seeks to be a primary point of publications expertise for the College by:
- offering a coordinated, cohesive and consistent program of publications-printed and electronic-that effectively communicates the college's mission and goals.
- leading strategic planning and execution of certain "flagship" publications of the college including, but not limited to, the Annual Report, the telephone directory, the course catalog (ORC), the commencement program, and Dartmouth Facts-at-a-Glance.
- providing publications consulting for the entire College.
- playing an active role in design and content creation for Dartmouth's World Wide Web site.
- providing a "clearinghouse" of information on designers, writers, editors, photographers and outside vendors used on various publications around the college.
- working to adapt, when appropriate, existing printed publications to on-line and other electronic formats.
- continuing exploration and development of more cost-effective ways of producing college publications, especially in the areas of packaging and vendor bidding.
- suggesting college-wide graphic standards and grammatical conventions, further assuring consistency in printed and electronic communications.
Also consistent with its mission, the Office of Publications works to develop a network of relationships as a means of achieving its vision. Partners in those relationships include, but are not limited to:
- Office of Public Affairs - As a division of the Office of Public Affairs, the Office of Publications supports the efforts of Public Affairs, helping to identify communications needs and key messages, and creating timely, effective vehicles to carry those messages.
- Clients - The Office of Publications offers to Dartmouth departments and offices the ability to create high-quality publications within the resources of those departments and offices. The Publications staff helps to identify message, audience, medium and costs related to such communications projects; it also works to raise awareness of advances in publications technology that may be helpful to clients. (See our list of clients)
- Peer offices within Dartmouth - The Office of Publications maintains working relationships and builds alliances with other publications staffs with the College.
- External vendors - The Office of Publications also maintains strong working relationships with a wide variety of external vendors, including designers, printers, photographers, writers and editors. The Publications staff with those vendors to ensure the highest quality service from those vendors consistent with Dartmouth's mission and communication goals.
Such relationships are key to the success of the Office of Publications, as they form one of the foundations of a program of consistent, coherent communication by Dartmouth to its many constituencies.