Skip to main content

International Scholars, Researchers, and Faculty at Dartmouth College

Upon arrival at Dartmouth College, your first contact should be with your sponsoring department or professional school. Following this, as soon as you can do so, you should visit the offices listed below to take care of requirements in connection with your status as an international scholar or faculty member. Be certain to take your passport and visa documents with you. Please do not delay in visiting these offices. Any delay will affect your eligibility to work at and receive payment from Dartmouth College.

Office of the Dean of the Faculty — 307 Wentworth Hall, (603) 646-3999

(Please note: only those individuals holding faculty rank need to check in with this office; research scholars should check in with their specific departments.) At this office you will need to complete Form I-9, the employment eligibility verification. You may also settle any matters related to travel and moving expenses, if appropriate. The office is open from 8:00am to 12:00 noon and 1:00 to 4:00pm Monday through Friday.

Office of Visa and Immigration Services — 63 South Main Street, Suite 303, (603) 646-3474

You must officially “check-in" by going to the Office of Visa and Immigration Services with your passport and immigration papers. We will copy them for your file, as required by federal regulations. General check-in sessions are scheduled weekly on Tuesdays and Fridays at 10:00am for F-1 visa holders and on Tuesday and Friday at 11am for J-1 visa holders. Please make an appointment in advance by phone or email for your check-in session. Please note that individuals in H-1B and O-1 immigrations status must make a one-on-one appointment with the international advisor. Additional appointments can be made at the front desk upon arrival if you have further questions about your immigration status.

Payroll Office — 7 Lebanon Rd, Suite 309, (603) 646-2697

At this office you will need to present your valid immigration documents and sign the necessary forms in connection with your payroll and tax status. This office is open from 8:00am to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 to 4:00pm Monday through Friday. During the summer the office closes at 3:30 pm.

Social Security Office — Littleton, NH or Concord, NH

If you do not already have a U.S. Social Security number, you will have to secure one by applying in person at the Social Security office in Littleton, NH or Concord, NH. Depending on your visa type, you may need to go to the Office of Visa and Immigration Services first for the required authorization letter. After you have obtained a Social Security number, you must notify the Payroll Office of your number.

Dartmouth Card Office — 103 McNutt Hall, (603) 646-3724

Please bring a valid form of identification in order to have your college ID produced. This office is open from 8:00am to noon and 1:00 to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. For more information visit Dartmouth Card.

Supplemental Information

Medical Insurance: If you are attending Dartmouth on a J exchange program, you are required to have a minimum amount of medical insurance to remain in legal status according to regulations published by the U.S. Department of State, sponsor of the Exchange Visitor Program. The minimum insurance shall cover:

  1. medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness;
  2. repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
  3. expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $10,000; and
  4. a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Individuals hired by Dartmouth for a regular position and for more than a 9-month period are eligible for College insurance. Scholars/faculty should contact their departments and/or Human Resources for more information. You will need to verify your insurance coverage with the Office of Visa and Immigration Services.

U.S. Driver's License

If you plan to reside in New Hampshire, we suggest that you obtain an International Driver's license before you come to the U.S. This will permit you to drive anywhere in the United States for up to two months. Information about driver’s licenses in both Vermont and New Hampshire is available in the Office of Visa and Immigration Services.


Foreign nationals in the US in F or J immigration status for any period of time should file one or two income tax forms with the Internal Revenue Service for the preceding tax year (1 January through 31 December), whether or not the person has earned any money. Individuals in H status are required to have taxes withheld from their wages. Tax treaty letters can be signed in the Payroll Office. Income tax forms, instructions, and information are available in the Office of Visa and Immigration Services every February. Returns are due on April 15 for individuals who have earned money and June 15 for individuals who have not earned any money in the US.

Child Care

Information, advice, and referrals concerning childcare are available from the Child Care Project. Their telephone number is 646-3233, and their staff can be reached from Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm.

Please contact the Office of Visa and Immigration Services if you need further information regarding your visa status or any of the above-listed topics.


Office of Visa and Immigration Services
Dartmouth College

Last Updated: 8/22/17