Skip to main content

Vermont State Driver's License

Information for International Students, Scholars and Faculty

If you plan to live in Vermont for more than a few months, you are eligible to apply for a state driver's license. An International Driver's License will be valid for up to six months, as will certain foreign or out-of-state licenses recognized by the State of Vermont. After six months, you need to apply for a state license. Many internationals at Dartmouth reside in Vermont, but if you live in New Hampshire you may access their driver's licensing information at

Vermont State licensing requirements can be found on-line at For most foreign nationals, the state requires vision, written, and driving tests. You may view the driver's test manual, which will aid you in studying for the exams, online in Adobe Acrobat format here. This online manual is also available at all Vermont Department of Motor Vehicle Offices.

All drivers' license appointments should be made at the testing office nearest your home. The nearest Vermont DMV offices to Dartmouth College are located in Montpelier, VT and Springfield, VT. There is however a mobile van which makes scheduled appointments to White River Junction please see the following link for details: Please note that walk-ins are not advised at any of these locations, so please call ahead to schedule an appointment at 1-802-828-2000 or 1-802-828-2085 to receive the best service and a guaranteed exam. You can also visit the Vermont DMV website mentioned above for further information relative to dates, times and lists of services. If you are taking the driving test, you must be accompanied by a licensed driver at least 25 years of age. The car you use for the driving test must have a valid vehicle registration certificate and be in good mechanical condition. An automobile insurance identification card is also required.


For additional information regarding how to apply, documentation you will need and how to request a letter of support from the Office of Visa and Immigration Services please refer to the following links below:

  • If you wish to request a letter of support from the Office of Visa and Immigration Services for your driver license application, please submit E-Form "Request a Driver's License Application Support Letter" from "General Requests"  iDartmouth System (iDartmouth user guide).

Last Updated: 8/16/17