F-1 Program Extensions
If you are within 30 days of the ending date of your program as it is listed in #5 of your I-20 form, and you do not plan to finish by that date, you must contact the Office of Visa and Immigration Services to apply for an extension to your program. The procedure is as follows:
- Contact the Office of Visa and Immigration Services to let us know you wish to extend your program.
- Contact your department or academic advisor and request a letter of support for your extension. This letter must explain in detail the reason(s) for the need for an extension. Note: poor academic performance and non-completion or failure of courses do not constitute valid reasons for program extension.
- Make an appointment with the Office of Visa and Immigration Services and bring:
- Your old I-20 form, your passport, and the signed letter of support from your department or academic advisor.
- You will also need to provide new evidence of your financial support, including any financial aid awards, scholarships, stipends, or personal funds. If showing evidence of personal funds, the bank statement must be an official copy and must be no older than three months.
- The Office of Visa and Immigration Services will issue you a new I-20 form reflecting the new expected completion date and will send the notification into the US CIS.