Skip to main content

On-Campus Employment for Students in F-1 Status Sponsored by Dartmouth College

Eligibility Requirements

F-1 students sponsored by Dartmouth College may work on campus provided they:

  • are maintaining legal F-1 status,
  • do not work more than a total of 20 hours per week (including any off-campus work you may have been authorized to perform) during academic terms, and full-time during breaks and holidays.

You may be employed full time during holidays and vacation periods, including summer vacations, provided you are eligible and intend to register for the next school term. The 20-hour-per-week limit on your employment while school is in session applies to all types of on-campus employment.

Other "On-Campus" Employment

Work performed on your school's grounds is "on-campus employment" as long as the employer provides direct services to students. Employment in your school bookstore or cafeteria, both of which provide direct services to students, is acceptable even if a private, commercial firm operates the bookstore or cafeteria. Work for a construction company that is erecting a campus building is not acceptable since the construction company does not provide direct student services. Please check with the Office of Visa and Immigration Services if you have any questions about whether your proposed employment is legal, according to the "on-campus" regulations.

Work Off Campus That Qualifies as On-Campus Employment

Immigration regulations allow you to work at an off-campus location provided:

  1. The location is educationally affiliated with the school.
  2. The educational affiliation is associated with your school's established curriculum, or is related to a graduate level research project which your school has contracted to perform.
  3. The work is an integral or important part of your program of study. For example, if your field of study is marine biology and your school has an off-campus marine biology research facility, you may work there and that employment will be defined as "on campus."
Again, please check with the Office of Visa and Immigration Services to verify the employment is legal according to this definition.

On-Campus Employment When Transferring to Another School

If you are in lawful F-1 status and have received a Form I-20 from a new school to which you are transferring and you intend to enroll at the new school for the next regular academic term or session, then you may continue on-campus employment at your first school until you move to your new school or you may begin employment at your new school immediately even though you may not yet be attending classes at that school.

Employment Eligibility Verification

When you begin on-campus work, you and the College must complete a form entitled "Employment Eligibility Verification" (CIS Form I-9). The I-9 must be updated each time you renew your work permission. For on-campus employment, simply show your valid I-20 and one other photo ID (usually your passport).

Before beginning employment, you must have a Social Security number. Please click here for more information on Social Security card applications.

Your wages may be subject to certain U.S. taxes, and you are required to file tax forms by April 15 following the end of each tax year. Please click here for more information on tax information for international students, scholars and faculty.

Attention: Working improperly or without authorization is a serious violation of your status. Please make sure your on-campus employment complies with these regulations and that you check with the Office of Visa and Immigration Services before accepting any off-campus employment. If you fail to comply with your responsibilities regarding employment, you will be ineligible for benefits normally granted to F-1 students and, in some situations, you may be subject to deportation.

Last Updated: 5/1/18