Skip to main content

Visa Renewals

This page has information on applying for new visas overseas, and visa revalidation within the U.S. (available only for certain visa types).

Most foreign nationals require a visa to study or work temporarily in the U.S. Canadian citizens are exempt from this visa requirement. For citizens of most other countries, a visa is necessary to enter the U.S., although it may expire with no legal or immigration consequences while the visitor is within the U.S. If the individual plans to travel outside the U.S., Canada, or Mexico, however, he or she will need a new visa in order to re-enter the U.S. For F and J visa holders, visas may only be obtained outside the United States, at a U.S. consulate or embassy. You may access information concerning individual embassies on this website: and information on the visa application process on this website:

Visa Renewal in Canada

Occasionally, a foreign national is unable to apply for a new visa in his or her home country, due to lack of time, or the need to travel to another country without going to the home country first. It is possible to apply for a new visa at any U.S. consular post or embassy which handles visa applications.

While the embassy or consulate is required to serve primarily U.S. citizens and citizens of the country in which it is located, "third country" nationals are also served. Due to Dartmouth's proximity to Canada, it may be more convenient for some of our international students and scholars to travel to Canada for a visa application than to travel to their home countries. An appointment is required, however, and certain countries' citizens are required to apply for and receive a Canadian visitor's visa before entering Canada. Please click on this site to access information on applying for a Canadian visitor's visa: Complete information on visa applications in Canada may be found on this site: You may also check the appointment schedule and make an appointment online at this website:

Visa Revalidation Within the U.S.

Given U.S. security procedures since 9/11/2001, it is no longer possible to re-validate any U.S. visas from within the U.S. In order to renew a U.S. visa, you must travel outside the U.S. and apply at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy.

It is possible for F- and J status individuals to extend their programs of study or research from within the U.S., by applying for an extended DS-2019 form (J's), or a new I-20 form (F's) at the Office of Visa and Immigration Services. This process, does NOT issue a new "visa" (stamp in the passport that allows entry to the U.S., however; it only allows for an extended period of stay in the U.S. If the student or scholar departs the U.S. with an extended form, and wishes to re-enter the U.S., he or she will still have to apply for and receive a new visa before returning to the U.S.

Last Updated: 4/25/14