Skip to main content
Home > FAQs >

UG D-plan Issues

What is a "D-Plan?"

The D-Plan is also known as an "enrollment pattern."
"Shortly after the start of the spring term every first-year student must file with the Registrar's Office his or her enrollment preferences for the remaining (normally) nine terms that permits, within a period of four academic years (or fifteen terms after matriculation), the satisfaction of the degree requirement of thirty-five courses passed. Routine changes in enrollment pattern may be made in the Office of the Registrar."
Students' activities during the twelve terms of their academic career are recorded by an appropriate designation: R for in residence on the Dartmouth campus; O for Off-Campus on a Dartmouth study abroad program (LSA or FSP); X for an official Dartmouth exchange program with another university; T for an independently arranged transfer term at another university; or L for a leave or vacation term.

 Does an "international student" have to file a d-plan?

Students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa status are subject to different requirements as to the d-plan. In the spring term of the first year, the Registrar's Office enters a d-plan for each F-1 and J-1 student as follows:
Fall Winter Spring Summer

Must an "international student" keep the d-plan entered by the Registrar's Office?

No. An international student on an F-1 or J-1 visa may go to or contact the Registrar's Office at any time and change the d-plan. Students should be careful to read the deadlines in the front of the ORC to avoid late charges or other penalties associated with the d-plan, housing, etc.

May an "international student" enroll in the sophomore summer?

Yes. Students on an F-1 or J-1 visa may enroll in the sophomore summer term, but must keep in mind the enrollment requirements of their visa status.

What are the enrollment requirements of the F-1 and J-1 visa status?

F-1 and J-1 students must enroll in a minimum of three consecutive terms, i.e. a full year, before they are eligible for a leave or vacation term.
"(iii) Annual vacation. An F-1 student at an academic institution is considered to be in status during the annual (or summer) vacation if the student
is eligible and intends to register for the next term. A student attending a school on a quarter or trimester calendar who takes only one vacation a year
during any one of the quarters or trimesters instead of during the summer is considered to be in status during that vacation, if the student has completed
the equivalent of an academic year prior to taking the vacation." 8 CFR 214.2(f)(5)(iii)

Which terms constitute enrollment for purposes of the F-1 and J-1 visa status?

R (residence), O (off-campus program, Dartmouth LSA or FSP), and X (official Dartmouth College exchange program) are always "enrolled" terms for purposes of the visa status.
Students who have arranged a T or independent transfer term at another university must contact their OVIS advisor to discuss how this will affect their visa status.

May an "international student" enroll in more than three consecutive terms?

Yes. Students may enroll in as many consecutive R, O, X, terms as allowed by the duration of their visa program and by College rules pertaining to those terms and the maximum number of terms.

Last Updated: 2/28/17