Research Conflict of Interest
- The Research Conflict of Interest (COI) process is designed to ensure objectivity in the design, conduct, or reporting of research. As required by federal regulations, a designated official(s) must review all financial disclosures, determine whether a financial conflict of interest exists, and, if so, determine what actions should be taken by the Institution to manage, reduce, or eliminate such conflict of interest. The Dartmouth College policy can be found at this link. Submitted information will be reviewed by the Office of the Vice Provost for Research and the Office of Sponsored Projects. If needed, information will also be reviewed by the Dartmouth College Conflict of Interest Committee (COIC).
NEW RAPPORT Research Conflict of Interest Application!
On September 7, 2016 a new RCOI application was launched as part of the RAPPORT suite of research tools. At 5:00 PM on September 6, the current RCOI application was set to read-only. No new RCOI information can be entered into the existing application as of that time. Emails describing the launch of the new system were sent to researchers from the Research Compliance Office. Questions about the new RCOI application may be directed to the Research Compliance Office.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure Requirements for Research
The following applies to all faculty and senior key personnel at Dartmouth:
- Complete a disclosure related to institutional responsibilities (Annual/IR Disclosure) on an annual schedule to be established by the institution
- Provide updated information to Annual/IR Disclosure within 30 days of a new financial interests
- Attend educational session every four years (PHS only)
Disclosure Process and System
- To access the system: Please click here.
- You will proceed to a login screen and enter your NetID and password.
- Anyone doing a COI disclosure must have a NetID account. All College employees and The Geisel School of Medicine faculty already have NetID accounts, but for faculty not yet at Dartmouth or others without an account, a sponsored account must be established. Read about Sponsored DND Accounts and download a request form.
- If you have questions about your NetID or other access issues, please contact the Dartmouth College Help Desk or call 603-646-2999. (The Geisel School of Medicine researchers contact Geisel Computing Support or call 603-650-1600.)
- You can look up your NetID account at the NetID Lookup page
- Please contact the Research Compliance Office if you have questions.
Dartmouth VPN is Required to Access the Conflict of Interest System
If you are accessing COI from off campus you must run the Dartmouth virtual private network (VPN).
Logging in to Dartmouth VPN using F5 Big-IP Client
Mandatory PHS COI Education:
Dartmouth offers the CITI course on-line. Read more about this option.
- On-line: Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program. The Conflict of Interest Mini-Course, which consists of two brief on line training modules, is now available on the CITI curriculum.
- If you have taken RCOI training in the past, CITI offers a COI refresher module.
Download Quick Guide to Completing The Conflict of Interest Mini-Course on CITI
Process and Forms for Subcontractors and Consultants
As the primary applicant for PHS funds, Dartmouth must assure compliance for all Investigators who meet the PHS definition for FCOI. In many cases, a subcontractor institution meets the PHS FCOI requirements. In some cases, additional steps are necessary to assure compliance. Please review the documents below carefully to avoid delays.
Public Access Requests
PHS requirement to make reportable financial conflicts of interest available to the public; Note such requests to be submitted via the Research Compliance website. Please do not respond directly to requests for information. Forward requests to email@example.com
Any questions concerning COI disclosures in relation to awards or proposals or disclosures required for grant applications please contact your OSP Grants Officer or firstname.lastname@example.org or your Department Research Administrator.
Questions concerning logging in or using the system should be directed to email@example.com.
Any questions about the Conflict of Interest policy or review process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.