Proposal Development Timetable
This timeline is intended to serve as a guide for those working on proposals. Scheduling of proposal tasks will be somewhat unique for each proposal developed. However, this timetable can serve as a general guide in anticipating the time needed to create a proposal.
90-30 Days Before a Proposal Is Due in the Hands of a Sponsor
- Review program announcement, guidelines and instructions.
- Obtain clearance from Development Office or appropriate administrator to approach sponsor (for non gov't sponsors).
- Prepare outline and/or first draft of research/program plan.
- Contact human or animal subjects administrator, as needed.
- Coordinate with participating organizations/institutions.
- Discuss effort, cost sharing, and matching funds with chair, academic dean, or area administrators.
30-25 Days Before a Proposal Is Due in the Hands of a Sponsor
- Meet with OSP staff for consultation and coordination of proposal, as needed.
- Discuss cost estimating process for the proposed project.
- 25-20 Days Before a Proposal is due in the hands of a sponsor.
- Preparation of preliminary budget.
- Share draft of proposal with colleagues/research committee.
20-15 Days Before a Proposal Is Due in the Hands of a Sponsor
- Create "Funding Proposal" record in RAPPORT, Dartmouth's on-line proposal and award system.
- Submit draft of budget and justification, narrative, and sponsor forms to OSP grants specialist for review to ensure compliance with college and sponsor requirements.
15-5 Days Before a Proposal Is Due in the Hands of a Sponsor
- Respond to questions by OSP staff , make changes as needed.
- Proofread and prepare final copy of proposal.
- Route complete proposal via RAPPPORT to department chair, area administrator and/or dean for approval.
5-2 Day Before a Proposal Is Due in the Hands of a Sponsor
- PI forwards proposal via RAPPORT and any needed attachments to Office of Sponsored Projects for final review.
- PI arranges for photocopying and mailing of proposal to sponsor.
Revised March 21, 2015