Skip to main content

Office of Sponsored Projects

Hinman Box 6210
11 Rope Ferry Road #6210
Hanover, NH 03755
Phone: 603-646-3007
Fax: 603-646-3670

Pre-Award Costs

Occasionally, a sponsor will approve funding for a project but are slow in releasing the funds. A more common situation for a Principal Investigator is that expenditures related to hiring project staff or ordering equipment need to be made before the project begins. A Principal Investigator may request that a PTA Account be established before the official notification of award has arrived. The Principal Investigator must request Pre-award Costs or fill out an Advance Account Request Form, have the department chair or administrative head sign the form, and submit the form to the OSP Sponsored Research Manager for that department. It is important to note that if funds are not awarded, the Principal Investigator's department or administrative area will be responsible for covering any expenses that are incurred on the account.

Quick Reference


  • The Principal Investigator has a good sense the project will be funded.
  • Department is responsible for covering expenses if not funded by sponsor.
  • Need a completed routing form, budget, and scope of work.
  • True Pre-Award costs.
  • Pre-Award PTA Accounts can be set up if sponsor allows pre-award costs or award notice is late.
  • Department Chair needs to sign Advance Account Request Form.
  • Department submits the signed Advance Account Request Form to OSP.
  • OSP Sponsored Research Manager reviews Advance Account Request Form and signs off on form.
  • Allowable costs prior to funding.

Also see: Advance Account Request Form (Word document)

Last Updated: 11/30/15