Grants.gov Common Errors
- Incorrect DUNS number
- Although some PIs may have a Data Universal Numbering System(DUNS) number for reimbursement for service on NIH study sections, only the institution (Trustees of Dartmouth College) DUNS number; 04-102-7822, must be entered in the face page.
- Solution: use OSP's checklist for Dartmouth-specific information to complete the application.
- PI's NIH eRA Commons User ID is absent or incorrect on the Senior/Key Personnel page
- It is critical to make sure this matches. Otherwise, the application will be lost in the early stages of submission.
- Solution: If you are uncertain of your User ID, log onto the NIH eRA Commons and verify it. If you are not registered, send an e-mail message to email@example.com ASAP to initiate registration.
- System detects a Word document uploaded as a text element
- Summary section exceeds the limit for the Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOA)
- Solution: Read the specific FOA carefully. The SF424R&R instructions state that the summary section (response to reviewer criticisms for revised applications) is limited to 1-3 pages. As specified in FOA.R21 and R03 FOAs, the summary is limited to one page.
- Animal or human subjects PDFs have not been uploaded
- Solution: If animal or human subjects are included in the project, applicable information must be submitted in the research plan (see SF424R&R guide for details). For a human clinical trial, separate PDFs must be uploaded for ALL applicable categories (protection of human subjects; inclusion of women & minorities; targeted/planned enrollment table; inclusion of children; data & safety monitoring plan).
- Form incompatibility
- Periodically grantor agencies will update their forms, in many cases supplanting older versions immediately with no "phase-out" period. For this reason it is critical that you always download the most current version of the application package. Older versions of the application package may not be accepted by the grantor agency, causing a significant delay in the submission process. To stay abreast of such updates, it is recommended that the investigator (or designated administrative assistant) always enter their email address on the download page and click "submit;" this way you will be automatically informed of all procedural and technical changes to the funding opportunity announcement (FOA).
Last Updated: 2/25/13