Skip to main content

Facilities Guidelines


Students and their guests must use the bathroom facilities designated for their particular sex. A number of women's bathrooms have security locks on the exterior doors. Access codes to these bathrooms will be provided to the women who reside in those buildings. Students with locking bathroom doors are prohibited from propping open the bathroom door or tampering with the lock systems.

Cable Television

Cable television service via Ethernet is supplied by the College to each College-owned single, double, triple or quad housing unit, as well as to many common area television lounges. Problems with the campus DarTV system should be reported by e-mailing the Help Desk or calling (603) 646-2999. For details on how thie TV over IP television system works, click here.  Please click here to view the current channel line-up which is subject to change.

Care of Rooms

Students are expected to keep their rooms reasonably clean and orderly so as not to endanger the health and safety of themselves or others. If after appropriate warnings a student does not maintain her/his room in reasonable order, he or she may be required to vacate the premises. If this occurs, no rent refund will be offered, and the student may be assessed a room cleaning charge. If at the end of a term a vacated room, suite, or apartment is left in such condition that it requires more than routine cleaning, a minimum charge of $50 will be assessed.

Custodial Services

Custodial services are provided to every College owned or operated residential facility. The duties of the custodians are to keep the common living areas clean, provide routine maintenance, empty trash in common areas, and otherwise keep buildings up to College standards. It is a student’s responsibility to clean his/her own room and/or excessive messes in common areas.


Residents are liable for any damage and/or loss to a residential facility or its furnishings. Whenever possible, repair or replacement costs will be assessed to the individual(s) responsible; when this is not possible, costs will be prorated among the residents of a cluster, building, floor or wing. Students are encouraged to report any information regarding specific acts of vandalism to their Community Director or to the Residential Life Business and Operations Office.


Residents may decorate their own rooms within these guidelines: map tacks, thumb tacks, and similar pins are recommended for hanging articles; no nails, screws, or other devices which leave large holes are permitted, nor are contact paper, double-sided tape, wall gum, stickers, or other adhesive material. No permanent alterations may be made. Live or cut Christmas trees are prohibited in student rooms and common areas of undergraduate residential buildings.

Entry to and Inspection of Rooms

The College reserves the right to enter and to inspect any student room at any time without permission or consent of the room occupant(s) to provide emergency service or general maintenance work, make safety or condition inspections, or investigate probable violation(s) of College regulations. If a room is entered to perform maintenance or repairs when an occupant is not present, a note will be left in the room stating that a College employee was in the room for an official reason and will give a telephone number that the student may call for information about the maintenance repair. College employees will lock the room door after the inspection or maintenance work is completed.


The heating system in the residence halls does not include thermostats in every room. Since the temperature cannot be adjusted without affecting many rooms within a building, some rooms will be cooler or warmer than others. College energy guidelines direct that the College attempt, within limitations of the physical plant, to maintain a temperature of between 65 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit during the heating season. The heating season generally runs from November through April. Due to the extremely low temperatures that can occur during the winter months, residents are expected to report any heating concerns (whether too hot or too cold) immediately to the Office of Residential Life. Students should note that open windows can result in the freezing of pipes and students are responsible for the damage that results if this occurs.

Kitchen Locker Keys

Kitchen locker keys are available to residence hall occupants, on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning on the first day of classes each term. Only one kitchen locker key will be issued to a student. Kitchen locker keys must be returned to the Housing Office or one of the remote key return sites located in the Hopkins Center, McLane, Brown, Brace Commons, Butterfield/RS-Hyphen, North Mass, Streeter, Mid Fayer, Woodward, Topliff, The Lodge and Wheeler or the Department of Safety and Security. Failure to return the kitchen key in accordance with the End-of-Term-Closing Procedures will result in a $20 replacement charge.

Obligations of the College

The College will provide furnishings and utilities to its residences. It will provide maintenance service for any utility under its control and will seek service for utilities it does not own. The College shall, within a reasonable amount of time and within its monetary resources, maintain its residences in good repair. An applicant may request repairs to his/her room and/or living unit by contacting the Residential Life Business and Operations Office. There will be no adjustment of housing fees in the event that the College is unable to restore services.

Room Furnishings

In all College owned or operated residential facilities, each resident is provided with a bed frame and mattress, desk, desk chair, dresser, and closet or wardrobe. In addition, student rooms are generally carpeted. All Office of Residential Life supplied furniture is to stay in its designated room. The College does not provide storage space for room furnishings. Students are not permitted to leave their room furnishings in the common areas, hallways or corridors. Furniture found in any of these areas will be returned to the student’s room and a $100 fine for obstruction of egress will be assessed to the student for each incident and may also result in possible disciplinary and/or civil action. Due to the damage they cause and the excessive labor required to remove them at the end of terms, the use of cinder blocks is prohibited in all College owned residential facilities. Students who have a medical need for furnishings or equipment other than those provided should contact the Housing Office to obtain information regarding an application and the requirements for medical documentation.

Room Inspections and Maintenance

Inspection of student rooms is conducted during the interim periods between academic terms.  When an inspection reveals maintenance needs, the Operations staff will contract with Facilities Operations and Management to do plumbing, electrical, painting, or carpentry work.  When an inspection reveals unreported damage, missing furniture or possible violations of College policy, the residents of the room will be notified and any applicable charges will be assessed and disciplinary action may be taken.

Students are expected to complete a Room Inventory and Condition Form on Banner Student when they move into a new room.  Room occupants are expected to examine the room and submit the Room Inventory and Condition Form within two weeks of first occupying the room. If a form is not submitted by the deadline, it will be assumed that the room is in excellent condition. The cost of repairing any damage or replacing any missing furniture that was not reported on the inspection form is assessed equally to all occupants of the room.

Students can report maintenance needs by calling the Residential Life Business and Operations Office at 646-1203 during regular business hours. Emergency maintenance needs that cannot wait until the next business day can be reported to the College Troubleshooter at 646-2344 during evenings and on weekends.

Room Keys

A room key is issued to each student assigned to a College owned residence. Students are responsible for picking up their key from the Housing Office and locking their rooms. Only one room key per occupant will be issued. Keys must be returned to the Housing Office or one of the remote key return sites located in the Hopkins Center, Judge, Brown, Brace Commons, Butterfield/RS-Hyphen, North Mass, Streeter, Mid Fayer, Woodward, Topliff, The Lodge and Wheeler. When a room is vacated, failure to return the key will result in a  $55 lock change charge.  New or additional locks may not be affixed to doors. A key will be loaned to a student only when a Lock Change Request is filed and approved. Students must present photo identification in order to receive a room, kitchen locker, or loan key.


Waterbeds are prohibited in all College-owned residential buildings.

Last Updated: 9/2/16