STEP 4: REFERENCE FORM
Reference Form (Word.doc, opens in new window)
A completed reference form should be returned via e-mail to UGA.Selection@dartmouth.edu.
See complete instructions below.
Reference Due Dates can be found on the Selection Dates & Deadlines page.
You will need to have one completed reference submitted for you by your CURRENT UGA. If you are not currently living in a residence hall, you should ask your most recent UGA to provide your reference. If your former UGAs are no longer available, you can ask any current or former UGA to provide a reference for you.
If you encounter difficulty securing a reference from your current UGA, or if you want to request that a UGA other than your current UGA submit a reference for you, please contact the UGA Recruitment and Selection Committee as soon as possible.
OPTIONAL: Candidates may choose to have one additional reference submitted on their behalf. This option is intended primarily for candidates who are concerned that their UGA may not know them well enough to provide a thorough and accurate reference. The additional reference can be provided by a peer, employer, professor, coach, dean—anyone who can speak to your qualifications for this position.
- Download the Reference Form found above.
- Fill out the top portion of the form. The form is a writable word document.
- Email the form to the person who will be completing the reference for you. Do this as soon as possible to ensure that they have enough time to complete and submit the form by the application deadline.
- Your reference should submit the completed form to the UGA Recruitment and Selection Committee.
- Follow-up with your reference to make sure they submit the completed form by the deadline listed on the Selection Dates and Deadlines page.
Tips for Requesting References
We encourage you to follow these tips when you request a reference from someone. Note that many of these tips are useful anytime you need to ask someone for a reference:
- If you do not know your UGA well, this is a good opportunity to begin getting to know her/him.
- You should carefully consider whom you ask to complete a reference for you. Your reference should know you well enough to be able to provide the information requested and in sufficient detail as to be useful in the Selection process.
- Plan ahead. Be sure to give your references plenty of time to complete the reference form. Last-minute requests are bad form and may lead your reference to reject your request or miss the deadline.
- Provide your reference with information about the job—such as a job description—so they can provide information about you that is most relevant to the job.
- Follow-up with your reference periodically to make sure they are completing the reference form—but don’t be overbearing.
- If you are concerned that one of your references will not submit the form by the deadline, you can always ask someone to provide another reference as a back-up.
- Be sure to thank your reference afterwards, and let them know whether or not you got the position.
Return to: New UGA Candidate Home