Skip to main content

IV. Housing Policies

Students are assigned to College rooms in accordance with the following policies and procedures. Please be certain that you have read this information, as all students will be held accountable for having done so. Students should also be sure to read e-mails sent by the office for details and links to information regarding housing assignment processes.

Unrecognized Facilities.

Dartmouth students enrolled in classes or on a leave term may not live in a Greek Letter, undergraduate or senior society facility that is not recognized by the College.


It is the responsibility of all students who desire campus housing to file an application by the appropriate deadline. Application deadlines are posted generally one year in advance on the ORL website. Application information is also routinely sent via email to students, and is available on the ORL web site. Students are advised to apply in advance, especially if they will be off campus during the time when applications are due.

Each rising sophomore, junior and senior receives a random, computer-generated priority number. For students enrolled for the fall term who are participating in Room Draw, this number determines the order in which they select rooms. For students applying for winter, spring or summer housing, the priority number is used to determine the order in which housing applications are processed. Priority numbers are non-transferable. Students who are determined to have manipulated the priority number system face penalties including removal from housing and/or other disciplinary action.

Assignment of Space.

Assignment to the College’s residence halls is made without regard to race, age, religion, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. When possible, assignments are based on information provided by the applicant. These procedures, and other housing rules and regulations, are subject to change and it is the applicant’s responsibility to know and abide by all current rules and regulations. Changes will be announced as they occur. The College reserves the right to consolidate applicants into rooms to conserve space, fill any vacancy in a partially occupied living unit at any time, re-designate room capacity as deemed necessary, and move an applicant to another room or remove him/her from College housing as a result of a violation of residence hall policies or procedures, emergency, school closure, or whenever the best interests of the College appear to require such action.


All first-year students who are not married, living with a dependent or in a College-recognized domestic partnership are required to live on campus during their first three academic terms at Dartmouth. Requests for an exemption to this requirement should be directed to the Office of Residential Life. Sophomores are guaranteed housing provided they are enrolled in classes in Hanover and participate in Room Draw or apply by the appropriate housing application deadline. The Office of Residential Life does not provide family housing. Violations of community behavior expectations may result in removal from College housing while a first-year student. All remaining registered undergraduates who are not married or in a College-recognized domestic partnership may live in a College residence hall or College-recognized Greek letter organization or undergraduate society house after the sophomore fall if space is available. Upper-class students, including active olders, who are in good standing with the College are eligible to apply for on-campus housing. Priority is given to on-time applicants with a D-plan indicating they will be enrolled on campus for the term(s) for which they seek housing. If a student’s enrollment pattern later changes, the assignment will be canceled and the student notified. It is each student’s responsibility to monitor his/her enrollment pattern. Students who have been readmitted to the College are not assured of on-campus housing. Like other students, they must meet application deadlines for the term of their expected return. (Housing is not guaranteed after the sophomore year.)

Thayer BE Students.

Students taking a fifth year to complete a Thayer BE degree are not eligible for on-campus housing (residence halls, affinity programs or private & college GLOS facilities).

Meal Plan.

Any enrolled or leave term student residing in housing coordinated by the Undergraduate Housing Office (which includes all undergraduate residence halls and apartments, affinity/special interest programs, and College- or privately-owned GLO and undergraduate society facilities) must participate in a College Dining Plan at a level no smaller than the "SmartChoice5, BlockChoice65 or Convenience45" plans (or their equivalent).

Room Occupancy.

The resident may assume occupancy of his/her assigned room on the official opening day of each term and is required to vacate his/her assigned room by 12:00 noon on the official closing day of each term. The resident has no legal right to occupy his/her assigned room or any other residence hall room during the interim period between academic terms unless the Office of Residential Life grants approval. Room assignments remain in effect for up to three consecutive terms that the assigned resident is in residence within an academic year excluding summer terms. When the resident’s enrollment pattern changes to indicate a leave, withdrawal or separation from the College, their housing assignment is terminated.


Upper-class students who wish to be pulled into the room of a friend who will have a vacancy for the winter or spring term should fill out the “Pull-In" section on the BannerStudent housing application.  In order for the Housing Office to consider this request, the friend pulling the applicant into the room must blitz Residential Life to confirm they want the applicant as a roommate.  Students cannot be pulled into single rooms, rooms where there is no vacancy, or completely empty rooms.

Room Changes & Room Swaps.

A Room Swap is a person for person room change that occurs during the first half of a term (the deadline is the housing application deadline for the following term).  For a room swap to be approved, all affected residents must blitz their consent to the change to the Housing Office.  Once all roommates are heard from, the change can be approved and all involved will receive a confirmation blitz.  Please note that room swaps are not approved for those students who went through Room Draw and were able to choose their roommate(s) for the term.

A room change can either happen during a term or between two terms.  During a term a list of students with vacancies is made available to students seeking a different housing situation.  The student seeking a change may either select a room from the list and be immediately assigned, or is he/she prefers, the students can contact residents on the list to find a good roommate match.  Once the room change is processed, a confirmation e-mail is sent out to all affected residents.  First-year students must work with their Community Director before seeking a room change or room swap.

Room changes can also be requested for the following term.  To apply, the upper-class student goes to BannerStudent and fills out the appropriate term’s housing application by the relevant deadline, making sure to check on the application that this is a room change request.  Room change requests are reviewed, along with all regular applications, by priority number.  If the requested room on the room change application is not available, the current term’s assignment will carry over.  Students who apply for room changes between terms will be able to check if their room change is approved on-line at the same time all new assignments are posted.

Leave Term Housing.

Students who wish to live on campus in order to do research or work on campus (30 hours or more per week), are eligible to apply for leave term housing. To apply for leave term housing, the applicant must fill out the appropriate section of the winter, spring or summer BannerStudent on-line application and provide written verification of College employment or College related activity to the Housing Office. Upperclass students seeking leave term housing for the fall should contact the Housing office for more information as space is often not available for leave term residents in the fall term.

On-time leave term applicants will be assigned as space permits in priority number order after all on-time enrolled students have been accommodated. Any leave term student living in housing coordinated by the Office of Residential Life must participate in a college dining plan at a level no lower than the “SmartChoice5, BlockChoice65 or Convenience45” (or their equivalent).

End-of-Term Closing Procedures.

In order for the facilities to be cleaned and ready for the next occupants, students are expected to vacate all College residences by the published closing date for each term or interim period, unless permission to remain is granted by the Office of Residential Life. Students who are found in any College residences after 12:00 p.m. on the closing dates, and throughout the interim period, may be fined $100 and may be subject to further disciplinary action. In addition, failure to remove personal belongings by the closing date may result in cancellation or revocation of housing for subsequent terms, as well as the cost(s) incurred to pack and move personal belongings. Please refer to the Closing Checklist for important reminders of what to do before you leave campus at the end of term.

Interim Housing.

At the option of the College, rooms may be used to house students who cannot return home between terms, or who must remain after closing or return before official openings, due to legitimate College-related activities. This space is limited, and it is not part of a student's contracted dates of residency. Students must apply for interim housing in accordance with the appropriate deadlines, which are posted on the ORL website. Failure to apply by the deadline will result in a $50 late application fee. Students who occupy an interim room are bound by all College rules and regulations and may not switch interim assignments. The Office of Residential Life encourages students to schedule their plans accordingly during the break periods. If a student is assigned interim housing between the spring and summer terms, keys are available at the Undergraduate Housing Office the afternoon residence halls close for the spring term and are due back on the last day of the student's interim assignment. Failure to return an interim key will result in a $55 lock charge.

Living Off-Campus.

Students who choose not to live in College-owned or operated residential facilities after their first year may do so by not applying for housing or by canceling their housing assignment within the allotted cancellation period. All students who live off-campus are expected to report their local address at registration each term. 

Rents and Refunds.

The policy for residence hall room rent refunds for withdrawn students is as follows: 100% before classes begin, 90% during the first week, 75% during the second and third weeks, 50% during the fourth week, and 25% during the fifth week. There is no refund after the fifth week. This policy applies to all residence hall rooms and to room rents in College-owned organizations. The effective date for the room rent refund will be the date upon which the student vacates the room and returns the room key.

Housing for Medical/Disability Related Needs.

Dartmouth College provides support services and reasonable accommodations to students with medical and/or psychiatric disabilities who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The Colleges strives to address functional limitations and behavioral manifestations by making reasonable accommodations for each qualifying condition. Examples are accessible rooms for mobility-impaired students and fire alarm devices for deaf students. In addition, we provide temporary assistance for short term conditions if space permits. For example, a student may need to move to a ground floor location while recuperating from knee surgery. If a student may require housing for a medical/disability related need, he or she should contact the Housing Office to obtain information regarding the application and the requirements for supporting medical documentation.

Undergraduate Housing Relocation Policy for Students with Disabilities.

Dartmouth College is committed to ensuring our residential programs are readily accessible to and usable by students with disabilities. To the extent that student housing or residential programs may not be readily accessible, Dartmouth College will make reasonable efforts to enable students with disabilities to participate in and receive the benefits of Dartmouth residential programs. Those efforts may include relocation of the program, redesign of equipment, reassignment of programs or services to alternative sites, alteration of existing facilities or other reasonable methods which make the residential programs and activities accessible under the circumstances.

Individuals seeking accommodations in order to participate in residential programs are encouraged to provide as much advance notice as possible, but in any event, a minimum of six months. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations or information on accessibility should contact Rachael Class-Giguere, the Director of Undergraduate Housing, at 603-646-3093 or

Summer Term Housing.

Students must apply separately for summer term. Summer-term applications are available on BannerStudent. Only a few residence halls are open for summer term; a listing of these buildings is posted on the ORL website on the Summer Housing page. If the building in which a student is living spring term is on the list, and if he or she wishes to remain in his or her spring term assignment during the summer term, the student may request to do so in their housing application. Assignments are made, as in other terms, to Living Learning Communities, coed, fraternity, sorority, and society houses first, then to rooms in the designated halls and clusters. Students should consider these assignment procedures when making housing assignment choices.

College Residence Policies and Terms.

College Residence Policies and Terms become legally binding when either the applicant is sent their Room Assignment Notification or is notified verbally of his/her assignment by a Residential Life official, unless the applicant cancels the assignment in writing.

Cancellation of Housing Assignment.

To cancel a housing assignment, written notification, including the student’s name and ID number, must be sent to the Housing Office either by letter or e-mail. For all terms you may cancel your housing until 11:59:59 pm Eastern Standard Time, of the day before the residence halls open.  However, to cancel without a penalty, you must cancel or withdraw your application before the cancellation deadline for that particular term.  For fall term only, the cancellation fee amount is based on the date of cancellation (see chart below).  For winter, spring and summer terms any cancellation received after the stated deadline will result in a $500 cancellation fee.


Cancellation Deadlines

Fall 2015

Room Draw - July 22 = $250
After July 22 = $500

Winter 2016

November 16, 2015

Spring 2016

March 7, 2016

Summer 2016


For fall term, a cancellation fee applies if a student selects a room at room draw and then cancels that assignment ($250 fee if canceled before July 22nd–$500 fee if canceled after July 22nd but before the residence halls open for fall term).  For winter, spring and summer terms the cancellation fee applies if a student submits his/her cancellation on or after the relevant term's cancellation deadline.  In the event a student is suspended, separated or withdraws from the College, the College refund policy applies instead of the cancellation policy.  In addition, a student may be granted approval to cancel a residence hall or affinity assignment after the halls open for a given term in order to move into a privately-owned Greek letter organization or Undergraduate Society facility.  In this instance, residence hall or affinity rent will be prorated and the $500 cancellation fee will apply.

An upper-class student who is enrolled for consecutive academic terms (excluding summer term) and who resides in College housing may cancel his or her assignment and move off-campus after completing at least one term in residence. A $500 cancellation fee is charged if notice of cancellation is received after the cancellation deadline.

First-year students are required to live on campus for their first three terms at Dartmouth. On-campus housing may not be canceled until the residency requirement has been fulfilled or is waived by the Undergraduate Dean's Office.

Changing one’s D-Plan after the cancellation deadline in such a way as to cause a cancellation of a housing assignment will result in the cancellation fee being charged. As a result, students are encouraged to plan carefully so that this fee may be avoided. A student who cancels his or her housing due to being removed from a wait list to participate in an off-campus study program will not be charged a cancellation fee.

Transfer of Assignment.

Room assignments may not be reassigned or otherwise transferred to, nor be sublet or otherwise placed in the occupancy, control or care of another individual or entity. First-year students may not change their housing assignment without special permission from their Community Director and the undergraduate Housing office.

Withdrawal from the College.

Any student who withdraws from or is no longer enrolled at the College while bound by a housing contract must, within 48 hours of the effective date of such action, (1) notify the Office of Residential Life, (2) remove all belongings from her/his assigned room and all storage facilities, and (3) return the room key to the Housing Office or the Department of Safety and Security. Any assignment will be canceled and financial reimbursement made if applicable. Students failing to vacate in accordance with this policy will be responsible for any and all appropriate charges to remove the abandoned property, and may be subject to additional disciplinary action.


Last Updated: 6/22/15