Overview of Room Draw
How does fall housing work?
Fall Housing Selection is a series of processes leading up to the House Communities Room Draw.
- Living Learning Communities (McLaughlin and LLC Houses): Application due date Wednesday, April 6th. Students may apply for up to 3 programs and will be accepted into only 1 program. All LLCs have a commitment requirement. Applying to one or more programs indicates that living in a LLC is your first choice housing. Therefore any student accepted by April 29th must go through the LLC Room Draw process. Students accepted into a LLC will not be eligible for other Room Draw processes. LLC Room Draw is Wednesday, May 4th.
- Greek Housing: Students must work with their house to confirm their space on the house roster. The final roster is due into the Housing Office on Monday, April 18th. Students on the roster must sign their contract riders on Banner Student, Housing StarPortal by Wednesday, April 27th. Each Greek house must be at their required minimum occupancy by April 27th. If they are not then members of that organization will be prevented from participating in Room Draw until that minimum occupancy has been met.
- Housing for Medical/Disability Needs: Applications and documentation due date is Thursday, April 21st, decisions and, where applicable, assignments will be made by Friday, April 29th.
- Senior Apartments: Senior Apartment Room Draw Thursday, May 5th
- House Communities:
- South House Room Draw: Monday, May 9th
- North Park House Room Draw: Monday, May 9th
- East Wheelock House Room Draw: Wednesday, May 11th
- West House Room Draw: Wednesday, May 11th
- Allen House Room Draw: Friday, May 13th
- School House Room Draw: Friday, May 13th
- Waitlist: Application is available on BannerStudent Monday, May 16th and due Monday, June 13th. Assignments are made beginning in early August.
All students who will be participating in Room Draw must register by Monday, May 2nd.
All students who register and who meet the following criteria will be sent their selection time-slot the day prior to their selection date.
- CRITERIA: Enrolled for Fall 2016 & Not already housed for the fall
- Students who are registered but don’t meet the criteria will be notified they are not eligible.
Room Draw uses the BannerStudent, Housing Application: StarPortal site. Registration and Selection are all part of the same application, but sections become available based on date. The Waitlist application will be available Monday, May 16th.
Time-slots are issued to groups of 20 registered students for an “exclusive” period of time, at which point the next 20 students are given access.
Important Facts About Room Draw
The only students who will be able to select a room through Room Draw are those who register by the deadline, are not already housed through a previous process, and have an “R” for their fall d-plan.
- Floor plans can be viewed on the Residential Communities section of our website.
- If a student misses his/her time-slot, they can still log-in and select. Once a time-slot has opened a student can log in and select their room at any point once their time-slot begins until 9am the following morning.
- The Housing Office will be open and fully staffed during Room Draw until at least 30 minutes after the last time-slot for that night. Students can call or come in person for assistance.
- Students who register for Room Draw are not bound to participate. If you decide to live off-campus, you can just ignore your time slot – there is no cancellation fee.
Students who cannot log-in during their time slot can request the Housing Office select a room on his/her behalf (for singles, or doubles/triples if all roommates are unavailable) by sending an email to Residential.Life@dartmouth.edu with a detailed list of room preferences by 9am on the day the student's Room Draw.
To request another student log in and chose during your time slot, the proxy must come to the Housing Office at least 15 minutes before the time-slot begins with a copy of an e-mail from the student, with their Dartmouth ID number, stating this students has permission to choose on their behalf. Housing Office Staff will work with the proxy to get logged-in on a computer in the Housing Office and select the room.