Skip to main content

Introduction: Housing on Campus

The Housing Office offers on-campus housing within communities that are designed to enhance students’ opportunities to learn from each other, while also supporting the goals they have established for their academic careers at Dartmouth. Residence halls are the foundation upon which community and friendships are built, and are home to most Dartmouth undergraduates. We consider the residential experience to be integral to life at Dartmouth, and therefore require that all first-year students live on campus in our residence halls. The exceptions to this rule are those first-year students who are parents, married or part of a College-recognized domestic partnership.

While juniors and seniors are not guaranteed on-campus housing, approximately 85% of the students live on campus in our residence halls, academic affinity programs, and co-ed/fraternity/sorority housing. The remaining 15% live in either college-owned off-campus apartments or other local rental housing options. Our residence halls are grouped into nine communities, composed of one to three “clusters.” Every community has clusters with distinctive identities, and as a result, you will often hear students refer to their cluster, rather than his/her individual building. In all, Dartmouth houses over 3,300 students on campus.

Rarely are two rooms on campus alike! We have traditional one room singles and one room doubles. We also have some two and three room doubles that provide the opportunity for residents to have a common “hang out” space in their rooms. There are two and three room triples, a few quads on campus, suite style living and three and four bedroom apartments. Some of our halls are modern in design, while others are of traditional brick and ivy Georgian architecture.

In addition to the residence halls, Dartmouth offers two other housing options for upperclass students: affinity housing and social organization housing. Affinity programs are dynamic alternatives to traditional residence hall life. Each program has a distinct theme, and most are culturally based. We have the Max Kade German Center, Native American House, and the International House just to name a few! Students who are interested in participating in one of the affinity programs go through a selection process with the Program Advisor. These communities sponsor programs both for their own residents and for the larger residential community. Located in a variety of spaces on-campus — converted houses, apartments, and traditional residence halls — affinity programs range in size from eight to twenty-six students.

Upperclass students who are members of a fraternity, sorority, co-ed organization or undergraduate society have the option of living in their organization’s house. These arrangements are made within the organization, and many members live at least one term of their time at Dartmouth in their houses.

Last Updated: 1/21/09