It's GAYpril 2013!
Time for PRIDE WEEK - April 29 - May 4
Gaypril and Pride Week promote an inclusive Dartmouth community through celebrating and increasing the visibility of sexual orientation and gender identity diversity.
Throughout Gaypril, we will be highlighting Dartmouth scholars conducting research on issues that impact the lives of LGBTQIA+ people, by acknowledging and addressing prejudice, bigotry, and institutionalized heterosexism, and by providing educational and social opportunities that expand people's understanding of what it means to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, genderqueer, intersex, queer, asexual, genderfluid, pansexual, an ally, and more, at Dartmouth and beyond.
GAYpril & PRIDE events welcome all members of the Dartmouth Community who are interested in learning more about LGBTQIA+ lives.
PRIDE Week Events 2013
Tuesday, April 30
Tuesday features back-to-back events from our featured guest, Dr. Celiany Rivera-Velazquez, Communication and Media Studies Scholar, Documentarian, and Director of the NYU LGBTQ Student Center.
- 5:30-7:30 @ One Wheelock - 69 WAYS TO USE SARAN WRAP: QUEERING SAFER SEX - Join Dr. Rivera-Velazquez for an interactive discussion on ways we can all serve as better educators to our communities. This workshop will offer examples of model 'non- traditional' bedroom fun and how to incorporate queer elements into safer sex curriculum.
- 8:00 pm @ Dartmouth Hall 105 - QUEEN OF MYSELF: LAS KRUDAS d'CUBA - A documentary filmed by Dr. Rivera-Velazquez which captures glimpses of the lives and politics of the feminist and queer Cuban hip hop group Las Krudas. This film captures a period in which Las Krudas were transitioning from hip hop and community theater in Havana to their personal and professional acclimation to the United States. Join Director Dr. Celiany Rivera-Velazquez for a viewing and discussion with Lou's pies.
Wednesday, May 1
- 7:00pm @ Filene Auditorium - LT. DAN CHOI - West Point graduate and Iraq war veteran, Lt. Dan Choi was discharged from the U.S. Army for saying: "I am gay." Lt. Choi will tell his story exploring the many intersections of his identity as well as chronicling his role in working towards the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
- 8:30pm @ Robinson Hall 14-15 - GSX MEETING - Join Gender Sexuality XYZ in an open setting to share experiences with the coming out process.
Thursday, May 2
- 12pm @ Collis Patio - PRIDE COOKOUT - Come for food, PRIDE gear, and the PRIDE photo on the green! All are welcome. No identity required!
- 12pm @ The Green - AXE THROWING with ALLIES - OUTdoor Programs is challenging assumptions and encouraging all to join in the spectacle of flying axes on the Green.
Friday, May 3
- 5:00pm–11:00pm @ Sarner Underground - TRANSFORM - A colorful, gender-bending fashion extravaganza!
Saturday, May 4
- 6:00pm @ Alumni Hall - PRIDE DINNER PARTY & AWARDS - A time to honor graduating seniors and student leaders, celebrate community, and have fun over dinner, music, and dancing. All are welcome and doors open at 5:30 pm. Please RSVP.
- 11:30-1:30 @ Collis 212 - BOWTIE BRUNCH POTLUCK - Bring a dish, bring a friend, wear a bowtie!
- 6pm @ MIR Lobby - LGBTQIA EXPERIENCES AROUND the WORLD - Current International students from New Zealand, Brazil and Jamaica share their personal experiences as members of the LGBTQIA+ community. Hosted by International Student Programs, McCulloch International Residence & LGBTQIA+ Advising Present. This event is the 2nd International Issues, Personal Perspectives (I2P2) for Spring 2013.
If you have questions or want more information about GAYpril or PRIDE Week, please contact:
LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER, QUEER, and ALLY STUDENT ADVISING
Dr. Reese C. Kelly, Assistant Dean and Advisor to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Students and Allies