Information on the Association of Alumni lawsuit against Dartmouth College
NOTE: for information on the November, 2008, lawsuit filed against Dartmouth by a group of seven alumni, click here
The New Hampshire Superior Court, on June 27, issued an order approving the joint stipulation filed by attorneys for Dartmouth College and the College's Association of Alumni voluntarily dismissing the lawsuit brought by the Association in October 2007.
The dismissal follows the recent election of the Association's new executive committee, all of whom were committed to ending the lawsuit. The eleven executive committee members were elected by a 60 percent majority, with a record 24,900 (38 percent) of Dartmouth's more than 60,000 alumni voting in the election.
The lawsuit was filed in October, 2007 after a 6-3 vote by the Association's previous executive committee. The lawsuit was opposed by the previous president of the Association, Bill Hutchinson '76, as well as the executive committee of the Alumni Council.
Read the order (187 kb PDF file)
Dartmouth statement on the termination of the lawsuit
Selected news coverage
Selected news coverage of the alumni lawsuit
- "Trustees file court brief against College" The Dartmouth, Dec. 15
- "Past legal decisions haunt new alumni suit" The Dartmouth, Nov. 30
- "Alumni Assoc. files latest motion in suit" The Dartmouth, Nov. 19
- "Council files amicus brief to dismiss" The Dartmouth, Nov. 12
- "Alumni withdraw prelim injunction against College" The Dartmouth, Nov. 6
- "College files motion to dismiss suit" The Dartmouth, Oct. 29
- "Something we can agree on" The Dartmouth, Oct. 29
- "Board Rights vs. Alumni Rights" Inside Higher Ed, Oct. 5
- News release by Council of the Alumni of Dartmouth College Oct. 5 (12 kb PDF file)
- "Quick Takes: Dartmouth Alumni Dispute" Inside Higher Ed, Oct. 4
- "Dartmouth Alumni Sue Over Changes" The New York Times, Oct. 4
- "See You in Court" The Valley News, Oct. 4
- "Divided Association of Alumni sues College" The Dartmouth, Oct. 4
- "Alumni to take legal action against College" The Dartmouth, Oct. 3
- "Dartmouth alumni group sues college over planned changes in board of trustees" The Chronicle of Higher Education, Oct. 3