Title: Leon Black Professor of Shakespearean Studies
Office: 206 Sanborn
Departmental Web Site: Jonathan Crewe
Medieval and Renaissance Courses Taught
- English 24: Shakespeare I
- English 26: English Drama to 1642
- English 27: The Seventeenth Century
- English 65: Literature before the mid-17th century
- English 70: Literature before the mid-17th century
- Comp Lit 23: Topics in Early Modern Literature
Areas of Research Interest
- Sixteenth century poetry and prose
- Early modern romance in literature and painting
- Shakespeare; criticism and theory
Important and/or Recent and/or Major Publications
- "Reading Horatio," Shakespeare Quarterly, 62,2 (Summer, 2011): 271-278.
- "Christ's Teares and the Jews" (forthcoming in The Age of Nashe, ed. Joan Pong Linton, Stephen Guy-Bray, and Steve Mentz).
- "Disorderly Love: Sodomy Revisited in Marlowe's Edward II," Criticism, 51.3 (Summer 2010): 385-399.
- "Elegy in Drama, 1590-1640," The Oxford Handbook of Elegy, ed. Karen Weisman (New York: Oxford University Press, 2010): 518-32.
- "Drawn in Colour: Aethiopika in European Painting," Word and Image, 25.2 (2009): 129-42.
- "Believing the Impossible: Aethiopika and Critical Romance," Modern Philology, 601-16.
- New Pelican editions, with introductions, of Shakespeare's Coriolanus, Narrative Poems, Twelfth Night, Measure for Measure (1999-2000); Troilus and Cressida, Henry VIII (2001), all now revised and incorporated into The Complete Pelican Shakespeare (2002).
- “Reclaiming Character?” Shakespeare Studies, xxxiv (2006): 35-41.
- "What Does Matter Want? Irigaray, Plotinus, and the Human Condition," Luce Irigaray and Premodern Culture: Thresholds of History, ed. Elizabeth Harvey and Theresa Krier (New York: Routledge, 2005): 38-52.
- "Can Polemic Be Ethical? A Response to Michel Foucault," Polemic: Critical Or Uncritical, Essays from the English Institute, ed. Jane Gallop (New York: Routledge, 2005): 135-52.
- "2 Henry IV," New Approaches to Shakespeare's Works, ed. Richard Dutton and Jean Howard (Oxford: Blackwell's, 2003): 432-50.
- "Black Hamlet: Psychoanalysis on Trial in South Africa," Poetics Today 22 (Summer 2001): 413-33. [MLA prize for best special-issue journal of 2001].
- "Punctuating Shakespeare," Shakespeare Studies, 28 (2000): 23-41.