Scholarly Communication, Copyright, and Publishing Program
The Scholarly Communication, Copyright, and Publishing Program provides information, consultation, resources and events focusing on the current issues and opportunities in digital publishing and scholarship. Topics include:
- Author rights
- Copy rights
- Publishers' archiving policies
- Copyright contracts for books and journals
- Open access
- Broader impact of research
- Innovations in scholarly publishing
- Student Led Publishing at Dartmouth
Our Scholarly Publishing & Communication Research Guide offers answers to questions about publishing, copyright and fair use, open access, the Dartmouth Faculty Open Access Policy and other special topics within scholarly communication. You can also visit our Scholarly Communication Lab blog for current news and updates.
How does Dartmouth College Library support scholarly publishing and communication?
- Consultation for authors in negotiating publication contracts for journal articles, books and educational materials.
- Dartmouth's amendment to the transfer of copyright contracts with publishers: The Library offers faculty and student authors an amendment to the standard publishing contract that helps authors retain more rights to use, reuse and post their own material. You can modify the WORD amendment to suit your need to retain rights to any kind of published work.
- Copyright consultation, including the uses of Creative Commons licenses.
- Dartmouth Open Access Publishing Fund: The Library helps fund the payment of Article Publication Charges (APCs) for fully open access journals.
- Support for an early career researcher to attend OpenCon, the student and early career researcher conference on open access, open education and open data, in past years.
- Support for the implementation of the Dartmouth Faculty Open Access Policy, developed in collaboration with the Council on the Libraries.
- Ideas to Apples: an open access story, is an animation created by Lizzy Rogers (former Jones Memorial Digital Media Fellow) in collaboration with members of the Open Dartmouth Working Group to explain Dartmouth's open access policy and the important role that it plays in supporting innovation and progress in society.
- Resources for innovative digital publishing through a collaboration with Dartmouth Digital Publishing.
- Templates for Data Management Plans through a collaboration with the Office of Sponsored Projects and Research Computing.
- Development of the Dartmouth open access repository, Dartmouth Digital Commons (DDC)
Workshops and Events
- Education and outreach programs, formal and informal, for individuals and departments on all aspects of scholarly publishing, including open access publishing, author rights and copy rights.
- Refer to the Scholarly Communication Lab blog for an updated list of upcoming workshops!
- Student Publishing Fair 1/18/18
- Events around campus during International Open Access Week. See Dartmouth Events for Open Access Week 2017!