Access Course Reserves
What is Course Reserves?
Course reserves are course-related materials put on shortened loan check-out period for a particular course by library staff at the request of the faculty teaching the course. Dartmouth puts books, both library-owned and personal copies from faculty and departments, scores, streaming audio and video, links to articles, and scanned PDFs on reserve.
Physical items may be placed on reserve at any of 6 Library locations as chosen by the professor- Baker-Berry, Dana, Feldberg, Kresge, Matthews-Fuller, or Paddock. Physical media on reserve are located at Jones Media Center.
Physical items are put on reserve for either a 2, 4, or 24 hour loan period as indicated by faculty. The electronic media, links and PDFs are put directly into the Canvas course site by Library staff.
Checking Out Materials:
- A valid Dartmouth College I.D. card must be presented when requesting course reserve material.
- A MAXIMUM OF THREE ITEMS CAN BE BORROWED AT ANY GIVEN TIME.
- Individual Professors choose the loan period for the materials - 2, 4 or 24 hours.
- Items charged out two or four hours (depending on the loan period) before closing or later, will be due at opening the following morning.
- Items due prior to closing and not returned on time will be charged overdue fees for the overnight hours.
- During term: $1.00 per hour, per item overdue.
- During reading period and exams: $5.00 per hour, per item overdue.
- Renewals must be done in person, with the course reserve material in hand, upon presentation of an I.D. card.
- NO RENEWALS BY PHONE or EMAIL.
- Course reserve material must be returned directly to the Baker Reserve Desk in the Lower Level of Baker or returned directly to the Library Desk where the materials were checked out.
- When the Reserve Desk is closed but the Library is still open, course reserve materials may be returned to the Circulation Desk.
- An After Hours Book Return Box is located at the bottom of the stairs in the Novack Cafe area of Berry for use when the Library is closed.
Lost or Missing Materials:
- Notify the Reserve Services Desk staff immediately in order to stop fine accrual.