Library Mission and Goals - FY 2009
Strategic and Operational Goals
Goal 1. Develop a culture of assessment that ensures continuous improvement.
- Evaluate and integrate recommendations from the Provost’s Library External Review process into goals. [FY09]
- Create a program of library assessment activities which includes pre and post program assessment to identify resource need and impacts of new initiatives, and opportunities to modify or eliminate existing activities. [FY09-FY11]
- Deepen staff understanding of assessment techniques and the use of data to inform decisions. [FY09-FY11]
Goal 2. Provide optimal physical and digital environments that advance research and education.
- Complete the redesign of the library web site. [FY09]
- Implement security and authentication protocols for library servers and resources to comply with campus-wide initiatives. [FY09]
- Audit Library facilities to identify and prioritize facility/space needs. [FY09-FY11]
- Develop a needs analysis, budget plan, and staff support model for desktop equipment and systems (hardware and software) including deployment, replacement and support. [FY09-FY11]
- Design a business continuity plan, including disaster planning, succession planning, health and life safety training. [FY09-FY13]
Goal 3: Recruit, develop and retain exceptional staff committed to our service culture and philosophy.
- Explore opportunities for Library system-wide student employee training. [FY09]
- Evaluate and redesign the StaffWeb in order to make it an effective tool for communication and productivity. [FY09]
- Develop career advancement opportunities for non-exempt staff. [FY09-FY11]
- Optimize available resources and invest in new technologies to enhance development and training for all staff. Be proactive in influencing staff training opportunities throughout the college. [FY09-FY11]
- Develop staff project management skills. [FY09-FY11]
- Empower staff to embrace risk taking and nimbleness. [FY09-FY13]
Goal 4. Develop information resources and services that support research and education at Dartmouth, and ensure that these are readily accessible and known to all the Library’s communities.
- Integrate the COUTTS vendor system into the infrastructure support and workflows for Library bibliographers. [FY09]
- Finalize and implement the marketing and communications plan; modify plan to engage and partner with the College's initiatives. [FY09]
- Develop a program for the creation of local digital collections. [FY09-FY11]
- Examine role of library liaisons; determine how to leverage their relationships with faculty and students to improve library services [FY09-FY11]
- Develop and evaluate an effective suite of tools for information discovery and delivery. Stay aware of new technologies and their possible benefits for the Dartmouth community. [FY09-FY11]
- Develop a formula for shared payment/costs for new initiatives/content. [FY09-FY11]
- Identify opportunities outside Dartmouth for cooperative collection development and shared services. [FY09-FY11]
- Create a digital repository of Library information resources, including policies for digital preservation, content prioritization, and interoperability. [FY09-FY13]
Goal 5. Build collaborations to support faculty scholarship and open access to scholarly information.
- Assess the Library’s digital publishing program. [FY09]
- Advance campus understanding of scholarly communication issues, including the author rights addendum, copyright issues, and repositories. [FY09-FY13]
- Coordinate with other campus programs that support faculty scholarship and teaching. [FY09-FY11]
Goal 6. Educate and empower the Dartmouth community to be lifelong learners and effective users of information.
- Plan for a program to enable flexible, responsive support from the Library for the integration of IT and library research into new teaching and learning initiatives at Dartmouth. [FY09]
- Improve communication with Alumni about resources and services available to them. [FY09]
- Strengthen collaborations with faculty, academic programs, and student support services to teach students lifelong research skills. [FY09-FY11]
- Develop a research and learning skills program integrated into the College curriculum that targets students through their college career. [FY09-FY11]
Goal 7. Provide leadership and support for College initiatives and priorities.
- Implement a Library donor stewardship program, including regular communication with donors of endowment funds and named spaces. [FY09]
- Develop support for the Library as part of the Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience. [FY09-FY11]
- Continue collaboration with Peter Kiewit Computing Services on current and emerging technologies and strategies for digital infrastructure. [FY09-FY11]
- Participate in development & implementation of an institutional digital strategy. [FY09-FY13]