Library Mission and Goals - FY 2008
Library Mission & Goals - Prior Years
Dartmouth College Library fosters intellectual growth and advances
the mission of Dartmouth College and affiliated communities by
supporting excellence and innovation in education and research, managing
and delivering information, and partnering to develop and disseminate
Strategic and Operational Goals
Goal 1. Assessment
Develop a culture of assessment that ensures continuous improvement.
- Complete the self-study component of the Provost's review.
- Create a program of library assessment activities.
- Deepen staff understanding of assessment techniques and the use of data to inform decisions.
Goal 2. Physical & Digital Environment
Provide optimal physical and digital environments that advance research and education.
- Complete the redesign of the library web site.
- Audit Library facilities to identify and prioritize facility/space needs.
- Develop a needs analysis, budget plan, and staff support model for
equipment and systems (hardware and software) including deployment,
replacement and support.
- Implement security and authentication protocols for library servers and resources to comply with campus-wide inititatives.
Goal 3. Staff
Recruit, develop and retain exceptional staff committed to our service culture and philosophy.
- Develop career advancement opportunities for non-exempt staff.
- Optimize available resources to enhance development and training for all staff.
- Meet new College hiring guidelines to optimize recruitment and to ensure a diverse workforce.
- Explore opportunities for Library system-wide student employee training.
Goal 4. Information Resources & Services
Develop information resources and services that support research and
education at Dartmouth, and ensure that these are readily accessible and
known to all the Library's communities.
- Create a digital repository of Library information resources,
including policies for digital preservation of at-risk collections,
content prioritization, and interoperability.
- Strengthen infrastructure support and refine workflows for Library bibliographers.
- Develop an effective suite of tools for information discovery and delivery.
- Complete a marketing and communications plan, including the roles of individuals and groups in carrying out that plan.
- Identify opportunities outside of Dartmouth for cooperative collection development and shared services.
Goal 5. Scholarly Communication
Build collaborations to support faculty scholarship and open access to scholarly information.
- Assess the Library's digital publishing program.
- Advance campus understanding of scholarly communication issues,
including author rights addendum, copyright issues, and repositories.
- Coordinate with other campus programs that support faculty scholarship and teaching.
Goal 6. Lifelong Learning
Educate and empower the Dartmouth community to be lifelong learners and effective users of information.
- Strengthen collaborations with faculty, academic programs, and
student support services to teach students lifelong research skills.
- Develop a research and learning skills program integrated into the
College curriculum that targets students through their college career.
- Improve communication with alumni about resources and services available to them.
Goal 7. College Initiatives & Priorities
Provide leadership and support for College initiatives and priorities.
- Provide leadership in developing an institutional digital strategy.
- Implement a Library donor stewardship program, including regular communication with donors of endowment funds and named spaces.
- Develop support for the Library as part of the Campaign for the Dartmouth Experience.
- Participate in the development and implementation of OASIS, the College's new financial management system.