This page details the steps and decisions made in order to include MARCIVE records into INNOPAC and the public Catalog.
Implementation Task Force requirements
The implementation task force set out the following requirements (this is a subset which only includes those directly or indirectly relevant to Innopac profiling or program development within Information Systems):
- Create an item record code. ICODE2='d'.
Use the item code to create a depository limit field in public file. DEP limit field; Limit depository Yes/No. The DEP limit field will not be available for use until after the backfile load is complete. This will avoid misleading results during the load.
- Include GPO item numbers and SuDocs numbers in catalog records. Map 074|a to GPO field, Map 086|az to SDOC field
- Define a BCODE2 for GPO records and include it in all records loaded to indicate source of record. Code g was defined.
- Retain the "gp" prefix on the Marcive control number in both Innopac and the public catalog. gp# will load as-is into Innopac. We decided not to include the gp# in the public catalog.
- Determine whether global location changes can be made to pre 12/94 records to implement Microtext locations. Will be done post-load by Collections Services.
- Display message "Available in CIS microfiche. Please inquire at Baker Reference or the Government Documents Center for assistance" when location code for CIS is encountered. Location table update.
- SuDocs numbers should be retrievable in both the SUDOC and CALL indexes. Add SCAL to Call number index list. Add SCAL to SUDOC index list.
- In INNOPAC include 95005 in call number index, 086 in ISN/SUDOC/ETC. index. Done.
- Online catalog call number displays should show the correct punctuation for SuDocs numbers. See proposal below.
- Add "explain" to DCLOS for SuDoc number searching. Done.
- Add database-sensitive help to Online Library, to include SuDoc searching information. Coming in version 1.8 of Online Library.
- Develop "explain" information for topics Browse and Browse Around for SuDocs number searching. Systems will install explain screens if someone will write them. (The SuDocs explain already mentions Browse, maybe it just needs to be expanded?)
- Retain existing Marcive database (which is concatenated with public catalog) until load of backfiles into Innopac is completed. This will be done.
- Delete records from Innopac that have, over the years, been manually deleted from the BRS database. This will be done by Bib Recs post load.
- Resolve location code conflicts which are a result of profiling decisions made with MARCIVE in which location codes were not assigned to coincide with those defined in the INNOPAC and RLIN systems. Use INNOPAC m2bholdsymb.mrcv to do automatic translations.
- Load Shipping List records suppressed. Marcive will output 'n' in 903|b and marcive load table will map this to BCODE3.
Part 1: Backlog Records (Full MARCs)
- No overlay tag is set. On the off-chance that a match is somehow made, the setting is to reject the incoming record (a safety precaution). Bib Recs should monitor the duplicate 001 report for possible conflicts with records already in our system.
- The bib template "marciv" will load these value(s):
01 LANG: 03 LOCATION: none 05 MAT TYPE: 07 BCODE3: -
02 SKIP: 0 04 CAT DA:01-01-97 06 SOURCE: g 08 COUNTRY:
The item template "imarciv" will load these values:
01 COPY #: 1 07 DUE DATE: - - 13 ODUE DAT: - - 19 LOANRULE: 0
02 ICODE1: 0 08 PATRON#: 0 14 IUSE3: 0 20 STATUS: -
03 ICODE2: d 09 LPATRON: 0 15 RECAL DA: - - 21 INTL USE : 0
04 I TYPE: 39 10 LCHKIN: - - 16 TOT CHKOUT: 0 22 COPY USE: 0
05 PRICE: $0.00 11 # RENEWALS: 0 17 TOT RENEW: 0 23 IMESSAGE: -
06 OUT DATE: - - 12 # OVERDUE: 0 18 LOCATION: aaaa 24 OPACMSG:
The 001 field contains the "gp number" - this will be changed to an 035|a. The 035|a will be m-tagged and i-indexed.
The 035|a contains an OCLC number. It will be changed to an 001 field, no subfield, strip the "(OCoLC)" prefix. It will be o-tagged and 0-indexed.
Settings true for load of all Marcive records:
- Bib locations will come from the 950|l. The holding symbol table for Marcive records is m2bholdsymb.mrcv - it translates the codes in the 950|l to the desired location codes and sets the subject headings to load.
- Item records will be created from 950 data.
- Item call numbers will be loaded from the 950|b and loaded as 950.05, tagged c for CALL# and g-indexed.
- Item locations will come from the 950|l but will be mapped to different codes using this map:
- BCODE3 in the bib record is protected from overlay.
- Bib level call numbers will be directly mapped from the bib records themselves, rather than through a call number hierarchy in the holding symbol table. 090 will map to 050 with first indicator blank and second indicator 4. Any pre-existing 050 in the record will be retained. All 050s will be y-tagged and unindexed.
Part 2: Brief Shipping Records, overlaid by new version of Full MARCs
- The brief shipping records will have an 001 with the "tmp number". This will be o-tagged and o-indexed.
- The brief shipping records will have an 035|g with the same tmp # as is in the 001. It will be m-tagged and i-indexed. This is the match point for the full MARC to do an overlay.
- The full MARC will have an 001 with an OCLC number in it. This will be o-tagged and o-indexed. During overlay, it will "replace" the brief shipping record's o-tagged and o-indexed 001 containing the tmp# (keeps the o index consistent).
- The full MARC will have an 035. Its |g will contain the tmp# which will be m-tagged and i-indexed so that it can match its shipping record and overlay it.
- The 035 will also have a |a which has the gp#. This will be separately m-tagged and i-indexed, keeping it consistent with the "backlog" records.
- The loader's settings MUST be changed twice. The first time is after loading the February 1997 backfile. Beginning with the March 1997 file, the OCLC# and gp# from Marcive have swapped. The second time is between the load of backlog records and the first load of shipping and (new) full MARC records. The changes are:
- The overlay settings must be adjusted for matching brief and new full MARCs.
- The overlay action must be set to overlay the bib but not create linked records (so the shipping record can create the items, then the full MARC bib can overlay the brief shipping bib but leave the attached items alone).
- Remove the Cat Date from the bib template 'marciv'
Summary of record matching/overlay actions
For ongoing loads of Shipping List records and records containing full cataloging the Shipping List records will be received and loaded into INNOPAC before their corresponding full cataloging records.
- Overlay is on 035|g which contains the tmp# (the match point between Shipping List records and Full GPO records).
- If no match is found then a new record will be inserted, creating a bib and item(s).
- If one match is found, the incoming record will overlay the existing bib record. No attached records will be created.
- If two matches or more matches are found a new record will be inserted (none of the matches will be overlayed), creating a bib and item(s). The multiple matches will be reported in the error report for the load.
- Ask for gp # to be output in 035|a and OCLC # to be output in 001. Done 3/7/97 to take effect in March data file.
- For Shipping List records ONLY ask for a 903|b with the value "n" to be created. (For suppression.)
Catalog Filter changes
If BCODE2='g' (source code) then:
- Retain the 'ocm' prefix on the OCLC number from the 001.
- 035|a gets special processing. If it begins with '(DNLM)' it maps to the NLM field. If it begins with 'gp ' or (GPO) it is discarded; we're not loading the gp# into the public catalog.
- Create the DEP (depository limit field) from the presence of ICODE2='d' in the record.
- SDOC field: Do not change any punctuation
- SCAL field: Copy SDOC field to SCAL and change any slash or space to hyphen.
BRS Database changes
- Add DEP; Depository limit field
- Add SCAL (SuDoc call number) to Call number equivalence
Config File changes
- Add SCAL to SuDoc number searches
- Depository limit (in DCLOS), search (in OL)
SuDoc number display/searching
Current practice is to change all spaces to slashes in the SuDoc call number as displayed in the Location field. This is consistent with treatment of other call numbers in the Catalog file. For the searchable call number field (SCAL), spaces and slashes in the SuDocs number are changed to hyphens.
SuDoc number: HE 20.9202:C 43/2
Public Catalog record displays:
Sudocs: HE 20.9202:C 43/3
Sudoc Call: HE-20.9202:C-43-2
Location: Dana, Government Documents HE/20.9202:C/43/2
The goal is to keep the SuDoc numbers as normal as possible while reducing as much as possible the rules patrons must memorize in order to search them.
SuDoc number: HE 20.9202:C 43/2
Public Catalog record would display:
Sudocs: HE 20.9202:C 43/2
Sudoc Call: HE-20.9202:C-43-2
Location: Baker Government Documents HE 20.9202:C 43/2/
The Sudoc Call field is the searchable Sudoc field (the SCAL referenced earlier in this document). This field has punctuation changed to make the number searchable by BRS (to the extent possible).
Users would still have to be instructed (through explain screens) to change all spaces and slashes to hyphens when searching for a SuDoc number. Patrons could be directed to the Tech display and the Sudoc Call field. Typing exactly what appears in that field retrieves the record.
Last updated 3/23/98 JKM.