Which MEDLINE do I use? PubMed or Ovid MEDLINE?
The National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE database is available from many sources. The two primary ways to access MEDLINE at Dartmouth/DHMC are PubMed and Ovid. Both are available on the Biomedical Libraries Web under Resources.
- if you want to learn a MEDLINE interface that will be always available to you, even if you leave Dartmouth.
- when you want quick results with strategies automatically created for you.
- when you are looking for extremely recent citations.
- if you are off-campus and having connection issues.
- when you also want to search for genetics and molecular biology information.
Use Ovid MEDLINE
- to be guided through selections for a precise search based on Medical Subject Headings, subheadings, and limits.
- to build a search strategy in steps and by trying multiple combinations.
For a more extensive comparison of Ovid MEDLINE and PubMed, click here.