Department of Government, Dartmouth College
211 Silsby Hall, HB 6108
Hanover, NH 03755
jason.p.sorens - AT - dartmouth - DOT - edu
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Ongoing Research | Publications | Datasets | Teaching
- "Arab Spring Constitution-Making: Polarization and State-Building" - with Ester Cross, R&R (download)
- "Public Policy and Quality of Life: An Empirical Analysis of Interstate Migration" - under review (download)
- "Civil Libertarianism-Communitarianism: A State Policy Ideology Dimension" - under review (download)
- "A Business Political Cycle? Economic Conditions and Party System Dimensionality" - working paper (download)
- State and Local Public Policies in the United States - 2000-2010 coding complete, 2012-2014 underway
2015 (online first). "Secession Risk and Fiscal Federalism." Publius: The Journal of Federalism. download (paywall) download (pre-copy edit full-text)
2015 (online first). "Globalisation and Intrastate Conflict: An Empirical Analysis." Civil Wars. With William P. Ruger. download Replication data: data (Stata format) - do file (Stata)
2014. "Legal Regimes for Secession: Applying Moral Theory and Empirical Findings." Public Affairs Quarterly 28 (3): 259-88. download (PDF)
2014. "Fiscal Federalism, Jurisdictional Competition, and the Size of Government." Constitutional Political Economy 25 (4): 354-75. published version preproof draft (PDF) online appendix Stata replication dataset #1 Stata replication dataset #2 Stata replication DO file
2014. "Does Fiscal Federalism Promote Regional Inequality? An Empirical Analysis of the OECD, 1980-2005." Regional Studies 48 (2): 239-53. download preproof draft Regional economic self-rule dataset: (XLS)
2014. "Corruption, Regulation, and Growth: An Empirical Study of the United States." Economics of Governance 15 (1): 51-69. With Noel D. Johnson, William Ruger, and Steven Yamarik. download
2013. Freedom in the 50 States 2013: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom. Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George Mason University. 223 pages. With William Ruger. project website
2012. "Does Foreign Investment Really Reduce Repression?" International Studies Quarterly 56 (2): 427-436. With William Ruger. preproof draft (PDF) Replication data (Stata 8+): data, do file, guide to variable codes. Imputed
datasets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
2012. Secessionism: Identity, Interest, and Strategy. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press. order here
2011. "Mineral Production, Territory, and Ethnic Rebellion: The Role of Rebel Constituencies." Journal of Peace Research 48 (5): 571-585. download Stata replication data do file Data Appendix For the full Ethnoregional Mineral Resources Dataset and associated documentation, see the Datasets section below
2011. Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom, 2nd ed. (Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George
Mason University). With William P. Ruger.
2011. "The Institutions of Fiscal Federalism." Publius: The Journal of Federalism 41 (2): 207-231. download (Data
replication data (XLS) updated fiscal federalism data
2010. "The Politics and Economics of Official Ethnic Discrimination: A Global Statistical Analysis, 1950-2003." International Studies
Quarterly. download Stata replication
data Stata do file replication output
2009. "Ethnicity and Nationalism in Wars of Secession." In Robert A. Denemark (ed.), International Studies Encyclopedia (Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell).
2009. Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom (Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at
George Mason University). With William P. Ruger.
2009. "The Partisan Logic of Decentralization in Europe." Regional and Federal Studies 19 (2): 255-272. Download here.
2009. "Development and the Political Economy of Foreign Aid." Journal of Private Enterprise 24 (Spring). Download pre-submission version here.
2008. "Regionalists Against Secession: The Political Economy of Territory in Advanced Democracies." Nationalism and
Ethnic Politics vol 14, no 3, pp 325-360. Download
2008. "U.S. State and Local Public Policies in 2006: A New Database." State Politics and Policy Quarterly vol 8,
no 3, pp 309-326. With Fait Muedini and William P. Ruger. download paper download data
2005. "The Cross-Sectional Determinants of Secessionism in Advanced Democracies." Comparative Political Studies vol 38, no 3, pp
304-326. Download here.
2004. "Globalization, Secessionism, and Autonomy." Electoral Studies vol 23, no 4, pp 727-752. Download
"The Failure to Converge: Why Globalization Doesn't Cause Deregulation." Critical Review vol 14, no 1, pp 19-33.
- Regional self-rule index (XLS) and country narratives (PDF) for developing democracies - use header comments in spreadsheet for variable descriptions
- Secessionist and regionalist parties - download (XLS)
- panelwise averages on "avgs" tab, all election-years on
"provs" tab, secessionist regions only on "partiesp" tab, variable descriptions in comments. For data sources, see Sorens, "Regionalists Against Secession" and "The Cross-Sectional Determinants of Secessionism."
- Fiscal Federalism Dataset: by country, 1950-2006 (XLS, corrected 2/20/12); by region, 1980-2005 (XLS)
- Global ethnic groups (for correcting Minorities at Risk for selection bias): Stata replication data. For
variable descriptions and sources see Sorens, "The Politics and Economics of Official Ethnic Discrimination."
- State and Local Public Policies
- Ethnoregional Mineral Resources Dataset:
- full ethnoregion-year data (XLS)
- national production figures (XLS)
- codebook (DOCX)
- Introduction to Political Philosophy (PSC104 syllabus)
- Comparative Political Economy (PSC413 syllabus)
- Political Change
- Politics and Society (PSC222 syllabus)
- Secession and Autonomy Movements
- Elements of Political Economy (with Michael Wallerstein)
- Tools for International Analysis
- Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict (PSC211 syllabus)
- The Political Economy of International Relations (PSC641 syllabus)
- Economic Models of Politics
- International Political Economy (PSC328 syllabus)
- The New Europe
Ph.D., political science, Yale University, spring 2003.
B.A., economics and philosophy (honors), Washington and Lee University, spring 1998.
copyright 1995-2015, Jason Sorens