Department of Government, Dartmouth College
211 Silsby Hall, HB 6108
Hanover, NH 03755
jason.p.sorens - AT - dartmouth - DOT - edu
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
Jason Sorens is Lecturer in the Department of Government and Program Director of the Political Economy Project at Dartmouth College. He received his Ph.D. in political science from Yale University in 2003 and a B.A. in economics and philosophy (with honors) from Washington and Lee University in 1998. He has researched and written more than a dozen peer-reviewed journal articles, a university press book on Secessionism, and a biennial report, Freedom in the 50 States. His research focuses on fiscal federalism, U.S. state politics, and worldwide movements for regional autonomy and independence. He received his department's award for outstanding teaching, voted on by undergraduate students in the political science honor society, twice while at the University at Buffalo. He lives in Lyme, New Hampshire.
Ongoing Research | Publications | Datasets | Teaching
- "Public Policy and Quality of Life: An Empirical Analysis of Interstate Migration" - under review (download)
- "Civil Libertarianism-Communitarianism: A State Policy Ideology Dimension" - under review (download)
- "A Business Political Cycle? Economic Conditions and Party System Dimensionality" - working paper (download)
- State and Local Public Policies in the United States - 2000-2010 coding complete, 2012-2014 underway
2016 (online first). With Ester Cross. "Arab Spring Constitution-Making: Polarization, Exclusion, and Constraints." Democratization. download (paywall) download (pre-copy edit version) Appendix (PDF)
2016. "Secession Risk and Fiscal Federalism." Publius: The Journal of Federalism 46 (1): 25-50. download (paywall) download (pre-copy edit full-text)
2014. With William P. Ruger. "Globalisation and Intrastate Conflict: An Empirical Analysis." Civil Wars 16 (4): 381-401. download Replication data: data (Stata format) - do file (Stata)
2014. "Legal Regimes for Secession: Applying Moral Theory and Empirical Findings." Public Affairs Quarterly 28 (3): 259-88. download (PDF)
2014. "Fiscal Federalism, Jurisdictional Competition, and the Size of Government." Constitutional Political Economy 25 (4): 354-75. published version preproof draft (PDF) online appendix Stata replication dataset #1 Stata replication dataset #2 Stata replication DO file
2014. "Does Fiscal Federalism Promote Regional Inequality? An Empirical Analysis of the OECD, 1980-2005." Regional Studies 48 (2): 239-53. download preproof draft Regional economic self-rule dataset: (XLS)
2014. "Corruption, Regulation, and Growth: An Empirical Study of the United States." Economics of Governance 15 (1): 51-69. With Noel D. Johnson, William Ruger, and Steven Yamarik. download
2013. Freedom in the 50 States 2013: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom. Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George Mason University. 223 pages. With William Ruger. project website
2012. "Does Foreign Investment Really Reduce Repression?" International Studies Quarterly 56 (2): 427-436. With William Ruger. preproof draft (PDF) Replication data (Stata 8+): data, do file, guide to variable codes. Imputed
datasets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
2012. Secessionism: Identity, Interest, and Strategy. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press. order here
2011. "Mineral Production, Territory, and Ethnic Rebellion: The Role of Rebel Constituencies." Journal of Peace Research 48 (5): 571-585. download Stata replication data do file Data Appendix For the full Ethnoregional Mineral Resources Dataset and associated documentation, see the Datasets section below
2011. Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom, 2nd ed. (Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George
Mason University). With William P. Ruger.
2011. "The Institutions of Fiscal Federalism." Publius: The Journal of Federalism 41 (2): 207-231. download (Data
replication data (XLS) updated fiscal federalism data
2010. "The Politics and Economics of Official Ethnic Discrimination: A Global Statistical Analysis, 1950-2003." International Studies
Quarterly. download Stata replication
data Stata do file replication output
2009. "Ethnicity and Nationalism in Wars of Secession." In Robert A. Denemark (ed.), International Studies Encyclopedia (Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell).
2009. Freedom in the 50 States: Index of Personal and Economic Freedom (Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at
George Mason University). With William P. Ruger.
2009. "The Partisan Logic of Decentralization in Europe." Regional and Federal Studies 19 (2): 255-272. Download here.
2009. "Development and the Political Economy of Foreign Aid." Journal of Private Enterprise 24 (Spring). Download pre-submission version here.
2008. "Regionalists Against Secession: The Political Economy of Territory in Advanced Democracies." Nationalism and
Ethnic Politics vol 14, no 3, pp 325-360. Download
2008. "U.S. State and Local Public Policies in 2006: A New Database." State Politics and Policy Quarterly vol 8,
no 3, pp 309-326. With Fait Muedini and William P. Ruger. download paper download data
2005. "The Cross-Sectional Determinants of Secessionism in Advanced Democracies." Comparative Political Studies vol 38, no 3, pp
304-326. Download here.
2004. "Globalization, Secessionism, and Autonomy." Electoral Studies vol 23, no 4, pp 727-752. Download
"The Failure to Converge: Why Globalization Doesn't Cause Deregulation." Critical Review vol 14, no 1, pp 19-33.
- Regional self-rule index (XLS) and country narratives (PDF) for developing democracies - use header comments in spreadsheet for variable descriptions
- Secessionist and regionalist parties - download (XLS)
- panelwise averages on "avgs" tab, all election-years on
"provs" tab, secessionist regions only on "partiesp" tab, variable descriptions in comments. For data sources, see Sorens, "Regionalists Against Secession" and "The Cross-Sectional Determinants of Secessionism."
- Fiscal Federalism Dataset: by country, 1950-2006 (XLS, corrected 2/20/12); by region, 1980-2005 (XLS)
- Global ethnic groups (for correcting Minorities at Risk for selection bias): Stata replication data. For
variable descriptions and sources see Sorens, "The Politics and Economics of Official Ethnic Discrimination."
- State and Local Public Policies
- Ethnoregional Mineral Resources Dataset:
- full ethnoregion-year data (XLS)
- national production figures (XLS)
- codebook (DOCX)
- Introduction to Political Philosophy (PSC104 syllabus)
- Comparative Political Economy (PSC413 syllabus)
- Political Change
- Politics and Society (PSC222 syllabus)
- Secession and Autonomy Movements
- Elements of Political Economy (with Michael Wallerstein)
- Tools for International Analysis
- Nationalism and Ethnic Conflict (PSC211 syllabus)
- The Political Economy of International Relations (PSC641 syllabus)
- Economic Models of Politics
- International Political Economy (PSC328 syllabus)
- The New Europe
Ph.D., political science, Yale University, spring 2003.
B.A., economics and philosophy (honors), Washington and Lee University, spring 1998.
copyright 1995-2015, Jason Sorens