Books and Book Manuscripts:
- Critical Digital Humanities: The Search for a Methodology (Univ. of Illinois Press, 2019)
- Modernity and Autobiography in Nineteenth-Century America: Literary Representations of Communication and Transportation Technologies (Palgrave, 2017)
- with Rena J. Mosteirin Moonbit (under contract)
- The Awkward Age of Autobiography (in prep)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- with Scott Sanders, "“Distant Approaches to the Printed Page” (under review)
- "Critical Code Commentaries" (under review)
- "Inaugurating the American Renaissance as a Massive Open Online Course" (in prep)
- “How Literature Became a Problem: The History of Autobiography in Psychology” (in prep).
- “Amateur Anxieties: Jack London, Theodore Roosevelt, and Turn-of-the-Century Professional Culture” (under review)
- "Autobiography, Modernity, and Biopolitics: Individuality and Writing the Self at the Fin-de-Siècle" Arizona Quarterly (forthcoming).
- “Narratives of the Later Life of Frederick Douglass” Common-place 17, no. 2 (2017).
- "Lucy Larcom and the Time of the Temporal Collapse" Legacy: A Journal of American Women Writers 33, no. 1 (2016): 82-102. [PDF]
- "Can an Algorithm be Disturbed? Machine Learning, Intrinsic Criticism, and the Digital Humanities" College Literature 42, no. 4 (2015): 543 - 564. [PDF]
- "Bits of Autobiography: Radical Deindividualization and Everydayness." Arizona Quarterly 71, no. 1 (2015): 83-99. [PDF]
- "What does the 'Temporal Turn' Mean for Autobiography? Mark Twain, Memory, and the Failures of Historicism." The Mark Twain Annual 11 (Fall 2013): 62-76. [PDF]
- Pandey, S., Voorsluys, W., Rahman, M., Buyya, R., Chiu, K., and Dobson, J. "A Grid Workflow Environment for Brain Imaging Analysis on Distributed Systems." Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience (2009). [PDF]
- Van Horn, J.D., Wolfe, J., Agnoli, A., Woodward, J., Schmitt, M., Dobson, J., Schumacher, S., and Vance, B. "Neuroimaging Databases as a Resource for Scientific Discovery," International Review of Neurobiology 66C (2005). [PDF]
- Zhao, Y., Dobson, J., Foster, I., Moreau L., and Wilde, M. "A Notation and System for Expressing and Executing Cleanly Typed Workflows on Messy Scientific Data," ACM SIGMOD Record 34 (2005). [PDF]
- Zhao, Y., Wilde, M., Foster, I., Voeckler, J., Dobson, J., Gilbert, E., Jordan, T. and Quigg, E. "Virtual Data Grid Middleware Services for Data-intensive Science." Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience 18 (2004). [PDF]
- "Knowing and Narration: Shirley Jackson and the Campus Novel." In Shirley Jackson: Influences and Confluences, edited by Melanie R. Anderson and Lisa Kröger, 123-141. New York: Routledge, 2016.
- Van Horn, J.D., Dobson, J., Woodward, J., Wilde, M., Zhao, Y., Voeckler, J., Foster, I. "Grid-Based Computing and the Future of Neuroscience Computation." Methods in Mind. Eds. Michael Gazzaniga, Carl Senior, and Tamara Russell. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2006. [PDF]
Conference/Workshop (Published) Papers:
- Pandey, S., Voorsluys, W., Rahman, M., Buyya, R., Chiu, K., and Dobson, J. "Brain Image Registration Analysis Workflow for fMRI Studies on Global Grids,"Proceedings of the 23rd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA-09), Bradford, UK, (May 2009). [PDF]
- Dobson, J., Woodward, J., Schwarz, S.A, Marchesini, J.C, Farid, F., and Smith S., "The Dartmouth Green Grid," ICCS 2005 Conference Workshop on HPC in Academia (2005). [PDF]
- Zhao, Y., Wilde, M., Foster, I., Voeckler, J., Jordan, T., Quigg, E., and Dobson J. "Grid Middleware Services for Virtual Data Discovery, Composition, and Integration," ACM Middleware for Grid Computing Workshop (2004). [PDF]
Conference Presentations / Talks:
- “Situating Computer Vision” MLA Convention, Chicago, IL. January 2019.
- “Moonbit: A Creative and Critical Reading of the Apollo 11 Guidance Computer Code,” SIGCIS/SHOT 2018: Stored in Memory. St. Louis, MO. October, 2018.
- "Techniques of the Computational Observer: Mixed-Method Governmentality and the Image," Plenary Talk, Futures of American Studies Institute. Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH. June 2018.
- “Moonbit.” HaPoP 2018: Fourth Symposium on the History and Philosophy of Programming. Oxford, UK. March 2018.
- "The Cultural Signficance of kNN" Plenary Talk, Futures of American Studies Institute. Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH. June 2017.
- "Digital American Cultural Studies." DH101. MLA Convention, Philadelphia, PA. January 2017.
- Roundtable Participant. "Visionary Compacts at Thirty: Literature, Politics, and the Field(-Imaginary) of American Studies'" MLA Convention, Philadelpha, PA. January 2017.
- "The Exorbitant Question of (Digital) Method," Plenary Talk, Futures of American Studies Institute. Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH. June 2016.
- "How Literature Became a Problem: The History of Autobiography in Psychology." 28th Annual Arizona Quarterly Symposium. University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. April 2016.
- "Machine Learning, Distant Reading, and American Literature," NeMLA, Hartford, CT. March 2016.
- "Narratives of the Later Life of Frederick Douglass: Old Age Autobiography Before Senescence," C19: The Society of Nineteenth-Century Americanists, State College, PA. March 2016.
- "Teaching Literature in Public: Large-Scale Online Teaching and Reading." Organizer and Presider. MLA Convention, Austin, TX. January 2016.
- "Amateur Theory" American Comparative Literature Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA. March 2015.
- "The Value of Old Criticism: Periodization and Passé Critique." Panel: Here and After: Periodization and
American Literary Studies. MLA Convention, Vancouver, BC. January 2015.
- "The Telephonic Self: A Non-Systemic Systems Theory of Autobiography." American Circuits, American Secrets. Banff, Alberta. September 2014.
- Panel Chair. "American Traumas: History, Memory, Violence." International Conference on Narrative. Cambridge, MA. March 2014.
- "The Telephonic Self: A Non-Systemic Systems Theory of Autobiography." American Comparative Literature Association Annual Meeting, New York, NY. March 2014.
- "Newer New or Coming After?: Americanist Literary Criticism at the Present Moment" Organizer and Presider. MLA Convention, Chicago, IL. January 2014.
- "Autobiography in Neuroscience and Neuroscience in Autobiography." Northeastern Modern Language Association (NeMLA) Annual Conference, Boston, MA. March 2013.
- "What does the 'Temporal Turn' mean for Autobiography? Mark Twain, Memory, and the Failure of Historicism." Mark Twain Symposium: "Complicating Twain," Center for Mark Twain Studies, Elmira College, Elmira, NY. October 2012.
- "What does the 'Temporal Turn' mean for Autobiography? Mark Twain, Memory, and the Failure of Linearity" Northeastern University, Northeastern, Boston, MA. March 2012.
- "Experiences with Distant, Computer-Aided Reading: Imagining a New Way of Reading a New Century." C19: The Society of Nineteenth-Century Americanists, State College, PA. May 2010.
- "Digital Humanities, Desire, and the Ends of Reading." Indiana University Graduate Student Conference. March 2010.
- "Was the Education Adams's Final Synthesis?" American Literature Association, Boston, MA. May 2009.
- "Regionalism's Countermonumental Impulse." Conference on the Literature of Northern New England, Norwich University, April 2009.
- "'Why, Where Have You Been These Twenty Long Years?': The Missing Event of The Education of Henry Adams," Tufts English Graduate Student Conference, Tufts University, October 2008.
- "Henry Adams and 'The Adams Memorial'," SGNHS "Sculptural Visions," Cornish N.H., September 2008.
- "High Performance Computing and fMRI Databases," SNIA, Washington, D.C., November 2005.
- "fMRI on the Grid," fMRIDC Summer Institute, Dartmouth College, June 2005.
- "GStar Grid Tools," GriPhyN (Grid Physics Network) All-Hands Meeting, Argonne, IL, April 2005.
- "The Grid: A Platform for High Throughput Data Analysis," fMRIDC Summer Institute, Dartmouth College, June 2004.
© Copyright by James E. Dobson