Skip to main content

What can I do if this happens to me?

If you believe you are the object of sexual harassment, there are several things you can do:

  • Tell someone! Remember, you have a right not to be harassed, but sometimes support is needed before that message can be communicated to the harasser. There are many people at Dartmouth with whom you can discuss your concerns about harassment. By talking about it, you will learn about the options available to you and thereby gain a sense of control over the situation. No matter whom you choose, you can expect discretion and sensitive assistance.
    If you are a victim, it may be difficult to come forward when you feel vulnerable and threatened. Yet it is important for you that you do so. The experience should not be kept secret. Patterns of silence can frustrate the College's attempts to eliminate sexual harassment in our community.
  • Remember, you have the right to say NO. Hoping that the situation will "go away" will often not bring an end to it. If you are able to, specifically tell the person (verbally or in writing) that you do not like what he or she is doing and ask him or her to stop. If the harassment does not stop, seek assistance.
  • Keep a journal or record of instances of harassment. Record the time, place, and circumstances. This may be helpful if personal or informal efforts to stop the harassment are not successful.
  • Talk to other students or co-workers whose judgement you trust. You may find out whether they or anyone else has been harassed by the same person. Seek their support if you decide to take action.
  • Ask a third party to intercede for you. The contact options listed in this brochure identify offices and individuals where complainants may report any incident of sexual harassment that they have either chosen not to resolve themselves or have not been able to resolve by speaking directly with the alleged harasser. You may ask your supervisor, your dean, the Title IX Coordinator, or any of the other resources to assist you. Make contact with the individual with whom you feel most comfortable.
  • Ask your supervisor or dean to set up an educational session for your office or group outlining the definition of sexual harassment, examples of inappropriate behaviors and the resources available at the College for dealing with complaints. The Title IX Coordinator can be helpful in arranging such sessions.
  • Register a complaint with the Title IX Coordinator. This office is the federally-designated institutional office for hearing complaints concerning violation of laws prohibiting sexual harassment. Information about the Equal Opportunity Grievance Procedure, which is one option for resolving complaints of sexual harassment, is available from this office.

Last Updated: 5/27/15