Skip to main content
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]


Health Care Flexible Spending Account

A Medical Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) allows you to be reimbursed for medical expenses for yourself or any eligible dependents. These contributions are taken from your paycheck pre-tax.  Withdrawals from the account are tax-free as long as they are used for medical eligible expenses.

Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account

A Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a pre-tax payroll deduction which allows you to be reimbursed for eligible expenses (tax-free) for the care of one or more qualifying dependents that enables you (and a spouse, if applicable) to work or look for work.  Qualifying dependents may be defined as children under age 13 or a parent or grandparent who is a tax dependent and for whom you are the primary caretaker.

Click here for a video presentation outlining Flexible Spending Accounts.

Para ver en español, por favor haga clic aquí.

More Information

♦  Eligible Expenses

♦  Making Contributions

♦  Changing Contributions

♦  Contribution Limit

♦  Employer Contributions

♦  Reimbursement of Expenses

♦  When to Submit for Reimbursement

♦  Additional Resources

♦  Whom to Contact

♦  Crosby Benefit Systems, Inc.

 Top of page

Eligible Expenses

Click here for a list of Crosby Benefit's Medical Care FSA eligible expenses

As of January 1, 2011, over-the-counter medications require a doctor's note or prescription providing reasons for medical necessity. 

Typical expenses reimbursed from a Dependent Care Flexible Spending account are daycare, day camps, or nursing care for an incapacitated or handicapped dependent.  You should contact Crosby Benefit Systems, Inc. if you have questions on whether a specific expense would be reimbursable from your Dependent Care FSA.

Top of page

Making Contributions

You must elect the amount you wish to contribute to your Medical Care or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts each year during Open Enrollment.

Your contribution total will include your employer contribution (if applicable).

Top of page

Changing Contribution Amounts

Changes to your contributions may only be made in the event that you have a qualifying mid-year event. For more information on making mid-year changes, please refer to the Status Change Form available here.

Top of page

Contribution Limit

Contribution limits to your FSA are regulated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). 

The Medical Care Flexible Spending Account has a limit of $5,000 per year.*  

•  Note: Per IRS regulation, effective January 1, 2013, the maximum contribution limit for the Medical Care FSA will decrease to $2,500.

The Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account has a limit of $5,000 per household per year.

Top of page

Employer Contributions

Beginning January 1, 2011, the following groups of employees will receive up to a $250 contribution from Dartmouth to the Medical Care Flexible Spending Account:

1. Non-exempt staff

2. Exempt employees making $60,000 or less in salary

Contributions for part-time or new employees are pro-rated based on full-time equivalent (FTE) and/or hire date.

You are not required to elect a contribution to the Medical Care FSA in order to receive your employer contribution.

There are no employer contributions made to employees on the "Standard" plan.

There are no employer contributions made to a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account.

Top of page

Reimbursement of Expenses

You may request reimbursement via the following methods:

1. Forms which may be submitted via mail or fax to Crosby Benefit Systems, Inc.:

•  Medical Care Reimbursement Request Form

•  Dependent Care Reimbursement Request Form

2. Using MyCrosbyBenefits and submitting your claims online. (Registration and log in is required.)

3. A debit card is available for the Medical Care FSA only.  More information is available here.  If you have not received a debit card, have lost your debit card, or are having difficulties using your debit card, you should contact Crosby Benefits to request a new one.

All claims must be accompanied by a detailed receipt documenting the transaction to be processed.  Incomplete applications may result in delayed reimbursement.

Top of page

When to Submit for Reimbursement

Reimbursement of your entire election from your Medical Care FSA is available to you beginning the first of the year following your Open Enrollment election or beginning your date of hire.

Reimbursement from the Dependent Care FSA will only be for the balance of the contributions you have made as of the date of your claim processing.

Both accounts offer a grace period which allows you to submit for reimbursement of expenses into the next calendar year.  You may incur expenses until March 15, but must submit for reimbursement no later than March 31.  Funds that are not submitted for by March 31 will be forfeited ("use it or lose it").  These deadlines are IRS regulated and subject to change based on IRS guidelines.

Top of page

Additional Resources

When visiting other websites or speaking to other resources, these accounts may go by alternate names:

Medical Care FSA may also be referred to as Medical Care Reimbursement Account (MCRA) or Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA).

Dependent Care FSA may also be referred to as a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA).

FSA may also be referred to as a Flexible Spending Arrangement.

Additional information on FSAs is available from the IRS website in Publication 969.

Top of page

Whom to Contact 

When you have questions regarding a lost debit card, status of a reimbursement, or the balance of your account, you should contact Crosby Benefit Systems, Inc.

For questions and concerns about changing your election or any difficulties with Crosby Benefits, you should contact the Benefits Office.

Top of page

  Crosby Benefit Systems, Inc.

Phone: 800-462-2235

Fax: 617-928-0001



Top of page

Last Updated: 3/3/13