What You Said

The research and discovery phase of the redesign is complete, and we’ve learned a lot in the process.

The start to this project involved listening. A lot of listening. During May and June, the Dartmouth team and our partners at Digital Pulp explored what our community experiences as we use our current website, and, more importantly, what you’d like to see in the next version.

We had more than 40 small group interviews with hundreds of faculty, students, staff, alumni, and parents; held two open forums; and ran an open survey. Your input was invaluable, and we’re putting it to good use defining objectives for the project. Some of what you had to say:

USER EXPERIENCE

“The current site makes you work very hard.”

“There is too much text. The more you write online the less people read.”

“It is difficult to navigate through the site because so much information is buried.”

“Inconsistency between different department sites is confusing.”

“It’s all about simplicity. It’s time we clear the dead wood.”

“Having drastically different department site designs tells users that different groups at Dartmouth aren’t talking. I want to join a unified and connected institution.”

AUDIENCE

“Our website is facing the campus, but it needs to face the world.”

“Difficult to try to be all things to all people. We need more prioritization of audience.”

MESSAGE

“The new site should be illuminating.”

The #1 issue for me is that the site looks old school and static. It makes me think that the content isn’t current.

“The bottom line is ‘intensity.’”

“We should show Dartmouth’s impact on the world.”

“This project is all about how to present Dartmouth’s sense of self to the outside world.”

“We need to be confident—the current site is lacking personality.”

TECHNOLOGY

“We need something that is dynamic and flexible. A website is never a finished product.”

“We need better technology so we can easily keep content fresh.”

“We want to be able to own the new website after it is built. We don’t want a Jaguar—when it breaks down it’s impossible to fix.”

FACULTY

“We should bring experts to the forefront. Our professors are the best in their fields and this needs to be known.”

SEARCH

“If I search for [my class reunion], I get the reunion from 1996.”

EVENTS

“Finding out what’s going on this campus is like a treasure hunt.”

“People are unaware of all the amazing things that you can do here on a daily basis. An improved calendar is really important.”

MAP

“When I need to find a building I Google the building’s name and use the Wikipedia page to try to figure out where it is on campus.”