News for all Dartmouth’s Jews
Events and Announcements (see details below):
- Jews on Canoes to Celebrate Lag B’Omer
- Sign Up for Cooking for Friday Night Dinners at Hillel
- Israel Multicultural Arts and English Summer Camps
- South Africa: Lion and Tiger Park Summer Opportunity
Reminder of Weekly Events in the JEWNIVERSE:
On Monday, May 14th:
- Note: We are changing the regular schedule for weekly Board meetings this week. Sign up for Green Corps Below.
- From 6:00 – 6:30, we will have our weekly executive meetings at Hillel. We will not be having our weekly general meeting this week (similar to last week). Instead, we want to encourage people to sign up for Green Corps!
On Wednesday, May 16th:
- Jews and Java from 3-5pm in town at the Dartmouth Bookstore
On Thursday, May 17th:
- @ 6pm Jews -n- Canoes (we are inviting Jew Crew and all of Hillel to Ledyard. There will be no Jew Crew this week)
- @ 8pm “Guide to the Perplexed” at the Roth Center with Rabbi. Interested? Come to find out more! New people welcome!
On Friday, May 18th:
- @ 6pm Friday night services will be led by Asher Mayerson.
- @7pm Friday night dinner cooked by Nick Parillo and friends, who will be making another FEAST FOR THE AGES.
If you would like to go to Hebrew Lunch, blitz Ittai Eres
Jews n Canoes to Celebrate Lag B’Omer
Hillel is hosting a Kosher BBQ at Ledyard this Thursday (May 24th) from 6-8pm. Come relax and enjoy the beautiful weather, while also canoeing on the Connecticut River! Ledyard is covering the cost of the Canoe rentals, so both the BBQ food and the canoes will be free!
Sign-ups for Cooking for Friday Night Dinners at Hillel
Know how to cook? Can’t even butter a piece of bread? Somewhere in-between? If you said yes to any of those questions, then you should sign up to help below. Cooking at Hillel is always a lot of fun, and Nick is looking to make the food even more tasty and delicious. So, if you want a fun way to spend your Friday afternoons (really, what better do you have to do at the time??), then sign up with your friends for a Friday afternoon cooking slot. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AptIw-_Qjb4odG5qTWw1OUhxYkVENFg2M1VUdHNzWnc
Israel Multicultural Arts and English Summer Camps
These camps are located in the Druze city of Yanuh-Jat, nestled in the rolling
hills of the Upper Galilee region of Israel. The first session focuses on arts,
sports, and a general good time for the kids, while the English camp gives the
campers, who are year-round students of English, an opportunity to enhance their
education and strengthen their comprehension by interacting with volunteer leaders.
South Africa: Lion and Tiger Park Summer Opportunity
The Tiger and Lion project was founded 12 years ago to ensure the preservation
of African wildlife. Since the 1970′s the population of lions in Africa has decreased
by 80-90 percent, due to poaching, reduction of natural habitats, and disease.
One of the goals of the park is to breed strong and healthy animals that can
someday be released into the wild. Most work that is done by volunteers revolves
around one-on-one care of tiger and lion cubs and includes feeding, walking, and
cleaning the cubs, as well as assistance with research and and rehabilitation
Of the week….
JEW OF THE WEEK:
Shari Boraz is our Jew of the Week this week! Shari Boraz is Dartmouth College’s
Green Corps’ Program Manager and also Rabbi’s wife. These past few weeks Shari
has been leading Hillel’s efforts to call and personally thank all of the people
who have donated to Hillel over the past few years. Shari is great leader and
always keeps volunteers spirits up with words of encouragement and, of course,
candy! Hillel greatly appreciates all of your help!
GOY OF THE WEEK:
This week’s Goy of the Week is Chen Guangcheng. He is a blind Chinese activist,
who recently escaped Chinese house arrest and arrived in the United States. Chen
originally became famous in China as an unlicensed lawyer who worked on behalf
of disabled citizens and also exposed forced abortions.
For more information on Chen Guangcheng: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/21/us-usa-chen-newyork-idUSBRE84K01F20120521
OVERHEARDS OF THE WEEK:
’12 Girl: Hi, we’re calling from Dartmouth College Hillel to thank you for your
support of Hill-
Alum: I’m not giving you any of my money!
How was your Green Key Weekend?
Oh, just safe!
OVERHEARD something a crazy little Jew said at Hillel or just around campus, blitz
Rachel.S.Funk.email@example.com to get it in the next Jewsletter!
This is Rachel Funk, blitz me with any comments, questions, or concerns. Happy
Green Key Recovery Week!!