names include: 'shrooms, magic mushrooms, caps
There many different types of Psychoactive Mushrooms with a wide range of potency, but they are all ingested for their psylocybin/psylocin content. Psilocybe Cubensis is the most commonly available variety.
Psychoactive Mushrooms are not considered physically or psychologically addictive.
It is not possible to overdose physically on Psychoactive Mushrooms. However, it is possible to have panic attacks or acute psychological collapses triggered by particularly high doses. This is more likely in users with a personal or family history of mental illness.
Eating unidentified or misidentified mushrooms can result in poisoning and even death.
Individuals taking MAOIs are far more sensitive to Psychoactive Mushrooms and should either reduce their dosage or not use mushrooms at all.
While the possibility of flashbacks is present with any hallucinogen, the occurence is rare and only seen in heavy users.
The largest danger is arguably misidentification. Don't pick your own 'shrooms.
If you are tripping, you should NOT be driving.
Use a sober "trip sitter" to maintain some semblance of reality and to prevent/assuage bad trips.
Last Updated: 1/21/09