William C. Wohlforth
Daniel Webster Professor of Government
B.A., International Relations, Beloit College
M.A., International Relations, Yale University
M.Phil., Ph.D., Political Science, Yale University
Click here to view my C.V.
- International Relations Theory and the Consequences of Unipolarity (editor, with G. John Ikenberry and Michael M. Mastanduno) Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- "No One Loves a Realist Explanation: The Cold War's End Revisited" International Politics Vo1. 48: Nos. 4/5 (July/September 2011) pp.441-459
- “Assessing the Diffusion of Power: How Not to Evaluate Theories.” International Studies Quarterly (forthcoming, March 2012)“Gilpinian
- Realism and International Relations,” International Relations (forthcoming Spring 2012)
- "Assessing the Balance," Cambridge Review of International Affairs 20, No. 2 (June 2011), 201-219. With Stephen G. Brooks.
- World Out of Balance: International Relations Theory and the Challenge of American Primacy, with Stephen G. Brooks, Princeton University Press, 2008.
- "Unipolarity, State Behavior and Systemic Consequences," with G. John Ikenberry and Michael Mastanduno, World Politics, (January 2009): 1-27, (Introduction to special issue on "International Relations Theory and the Consequences of Unipolarity."
- "Unipolarity, Status Competition and Great Power War," World Politics (January 2009): 28-57.
- "Testing Balance-of-Power Theory in World History," in European Journal of International Relations, with Richard Little, Stuart J. Kaufman, David Kang, Charles A. Jones, Victoria Tin-Bor Hui, Arthur Eckstein, Daniel Deudney, and William J. Brenner, 2007, Vol. 13, No. 2 PDF
- The Balance of Power in World History, edited with Richard Little and Stuart Kaufman, under contract with Palgrave Press, January 2007.
- "Heartland Dreams: Russian Geopolitics and Foreign Policy," in Perspectives on the Russian State in Transition, Wolfgang Danspeckgruber, ed., The Liechtenstein Institute on Self-Determination at Princeton University, 2006. PDF
- "International Relations Theory and the Case Against Unilateralism," with Stephen G. Brooks, Perspectives on Politics, Vol. 3, No. 3, September 2005. PDF
- "Hard Times for Soft Balancing," with Stephen G. Brooks, International Security, Vol. 30, No. 1, Summer 2005. PDF
- "Ideas and the End of the Cold War," co-edited with Nina Tannenwald, Special Issue of the Journal of Cold War Studies, Vol. 7, No. 2, Spring 2005. PDF
- "The End of the Cold War as a Hard Case for Ideas," in Ideas and the End of the Cold War, Nina Tannenwald and William C. Wohlforth, eds., Special Issue of the Journal of Cold War Studies, Vol. 7, No. 2, Spring 2005. PDF
- "Revisiting Balance of Power Theory in Central Eurasia," in Balance of Power Theory and practice in the 21st Century, T.V. Paul and James J. Wirtz, eds., Stanford University Press, 2004. PDF
- "Economic Constraints and the Turn Towards Superpower Cooperation in the 1980s," with Stephen G. Brooks, in From Conflict Escalation to Conflict Transformation: The Cold War in the 1980's, Olav Njølstad, ed., Frank Cass, 2004. PDF
- "German Unification" with James Davis, Ending the Cold War: Interpretations, Causation, and the Study of International Relations, in Richard K. Herrmann and Richard Ned Lebow, eds., New York: Palgrave, 2004. PDF
- "The Transatlantic Dimension," European Union Foreign and Security policy: Towards a Neighborhood Strategy, Roland Danreuther, ed., London: Routledge, 2004. PDF
- "Economic Constraints and the End of the Cold War," with Stephen G. Brooks, in Cold War Endgame: Oral History, Analysis, Debates, Penn State University Press, 2003. PDF
- "Russia's Soft Balancing Act," in Strategic Asia, 2003-4: Fragility and Crisis, Richard Ellings and Aaron Fridberg, with Michael Wills, eds., Seattle, Washington: National Bureau of Asia Research, 2003. PDF
- "Central Asia: Defying 'Great Game' Expectations,'" with Kathleen Collins, in Strategic Asia, 2003-4: Fragility and Crisis, Richard Ellings and Michael Wills, eds., Seattle, Washington: National Bureau of Asia Research, 2003. PDF
- "U.S. Strategy in a Unipolar World," in America Unrivaled: The Future of the Balance of Power, G. John Ikenberry, ed., Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2002. PDF
- "American Primacy in Perspective," with Stephen G. Brooks, Foreign Affairs, Vol. 81, No. 4: 20-33, July/August 2002. PDF
- "From Old Thinking to New Thinking in Qualitative Research," with Stephen G. Brooks, International Security, Vol. 26, No.4: 93-111, Spring 2002. PDF
- "The Russian-Soviet Empire: A Test of Neorealism," Review of International Studies, December 2001. PDF
- "Power, Globalization, and the End of the Cold War: Reevaluating a Landmark Case for Ideas," with Stephen G. Brooks, International Security, Vol. 53, No. 3: 5-53, Winter 2000-01. PDF
- International relations theory
- International Security
- Russian foreign policy
- Cold War and its End