Associate Professor of Government
B.A., Philosophy and Political Studies, University of Manitoba
M.A., Political Studies, University of Manitoba
D.Phil., Social and Political Thought, University of Sussex
A.M., Ph.D., Political Science, Brown University
Click here to view my C.V.
- The Liberal Conscience: Politics and Principle in a World of Religious Pluralism (Columbia University Press, 2006; paperback edition, 2008).
- "Demanding Deliberation: Political Liberalism and the Inclusion of Islam," Journal of Islamic Law and Culture, Vol. 11, No. 2: 92-110, 2009.
- "Deliberate and Free: Autonomy and Heteronomy in Political Deliberation," Philosophy & Social Criticism, Vol. 35, Nos. 1-2: 183-213, 2009.
- "The Battle for Liberalism: Confronting the Legacy of Theocracy," Critical Review, Vol. 19, No. 4: 565-75, 2007.
- "The Mohammed Caricatures: Liberalism vs. Islam?" openDemocracy.net, March 3, 2006
- "Political Theory and the Conduct of Faith: Oakeshott on Religion and Public Life," Contemporary Political Theory, Vol. 4, No. 1: 63-82, 2005.
- "A Liberalism of Conscience," Journal of Political Philosophy, Vol. 11, No. 4: 369-91, 2003.
- "Institutions of Conscience: Politics and Principle in a World of Religious Pluralism," Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, Vol. 6, No. 1: 93-118, 2003.
- Political philosophy
- History of political thought
- Religion and politics
- Law and ethics