211 Silsby Hall
Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
Tel: (603) 646-2544
Fax: (603) 646-2152
Nelson A. Rockefeller Professor of Government, Emeritus
Research Professor of Government
President, Foundation for Neuroscience and Society
Go to: Professor Masters' webpage
B.A., Government, Harvard University
M.A. and Ph.D., Political Science, University of Chicago
- The Collected Writings of Rousseau, with Christopher Kelly, eds. University Press of New England, 12 volumes, 1990-2007
- Fortune is a River: Leonardo da Vinci and Niccolo Machiavelli's Magnificent Dream to Change the Course of Florentine History, New York: Simon and Schuster, 1998. (See NYT book review)
- The Nature of Politics. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1989
- The Political Philosophy of Rousseau. Princeton, N.J., Princeton University Press, 1968. Also available in French, as La philosophie politique de rousseau. Lyon: ENS Editions, 2002.
- The Nation is Burdened: American foreign policy in a changing world. New York: Random House, 1967.
Recent articles and presentations
- "Confirmation of and explanations for elevated blood lead and other disorders in children exposed to water disinfection and fluoridation chemicals," with Myron J. Coplan, Steven C Patch and Marcia S Bachman, Neurotoxicology, 28(5, 2007): 1032-42.
- "Biology and politics: Linking nature and nurture," Annual Review of Political Science. Vol. 4 (2001): 345-369.
- "Water treatment with silicofluorides and lead toxicity," with Myron J. Coplan, International Journal of Environmental Studies, 56 (4, 1999): 435-449.
- "Environmental Pollution, Neurotoxicity, and Criminal Violence," with Brian T. Hone and Anil Doshi, in J. Rose., ed., Environmental Toxicology: Current Developments (London: Taylor and Francis, 1998), pp. 13-48.
- "Emotion and Cognition in Political Information-Processing," with Baldwin M. Way, Journal of Communication 46 (3, 1996), 48-65.
- "Dominance and Attention: Images of Leaders in German, French, & American TV News," with Siegfried Frey and Gary Bente, Polity, Vol. 23, No. 3 (Spring, 1991): 373-394.
- "Evolutionary Biology and Political Theory," American Political Science Review, Vol. 84, No. 1 (March, 1990): 195-210.
- "Happy Warriors: Leaders' Facial Displays, Viewers' Emotions, and Political Support," with Denis G. Sullivan, American Journal of Political Science, Vol. 32, No. 2 (May 1988): 345-368.
Last Updated: 7/16/09