Linda L. Fowler
Professor of Government
Frank J. Reagan '09 Chair in Policy Studies
Linda Fowler's CV
B.A., Political Science, Smith College
M.A., Ph.D., Political Science, University of Rochester
"My teaching and research agendas have always been interconnected because I focus on practical politics. I use social science methods to examine how institutions work in the American democracy and then convey the consequences to students as citizens and future leaders."
- "Congressional War Powers" in Frances Lee and Eric Schickler, ed. Oxford Handbook of the U.S. Congress (Forthcoming 2010)
- “Looking for Sex in All the Wrong Places: Media Coverage of Gubernatorial Candidates, 1990-1997.” Perspectives 7, 3(September 2009): 519-536.
- “Seen, but Not Heard: Committee Visibility, Democratization and Institutional Change in the Senate National Security Committees, 1947-2006,” 2008. Legislative Studies Quarterly 33 (August): 357-386.
- “Make Way for the Party: The Rise and Fall of the Senate Security Committees,” in David Rohde, Nathan Monroe and Jason Roberts, eds. Why Not Parties? (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2008), ch. 7.
- "Issue Advocacy Groups in the 2000 New Hampshire Primary." Co-author. In Paul S. Herrnson et al. The Interest Group Connection, 2nd ed., Washington, CQ Press, pp. 89-111, 2005.
- Campaign Ethics and the Politics of Personal Destruction," in Candace J. Nelson and James A. Thurber, eds. Campaigns and Elections American Style, 2nd ed., Westview Press, 2004.
- "Sheep in Wolves Clothing: Undeclared Voters in the New Hampshire Primary ," Co-Author. PS, April 2003.
- "The New Hampshire Senate Race." In Larry Sabato, ed. Midterm Madness: The 2002 Elections, Rowman and Littlefield, 2003.
- "The Effects of Retail Politics in the New Hampshire Primary." Co-author. American Journal of Political Science, 46:595-610, July 2002.
- "Representation, Careerism and Term Limits: A Simulation," with Brian Frederking, in Congress on Display, Congress at Work, William T. Bianco, ed., Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2000.
Papers under revision:
- “Senate Oversight of National Security Policy, 1947-2005”
- “Movers and Stakers: Vote Switching in the New Hampshire Presidential Primary”
- Congress at the Water’s Edge (book manuscript)
- “Explaining Restrictive Rules in the House of Representatives, 1979-1994”
- Legislative politics - congress and foreign policy
- Public policy
- Interest groups and political participation
Honors & Awards
- Congressional Quarterly 2006 Award for best paper on legislatures at the 2005 annual meeting of the APSA
- Guggenheim Fellowship 2005-06