Visiting Associate Professor
B.A., LL.B., LL.M. (Hons.), Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Dip. Crim., Institute of Criminology, Cambridge University
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
Click here to view my C.V.
- Rejecting Refugees: Asylum in the US and the UK in the 21st Century. with Amy Shuman ( New York, NY: Routledge, 2007).
- The Wages of Seeking Help: Sexual Exploitation by Professionals. (Westport, CT: Praeger Press, 2000.)
- Sexual Assault on Campus: The Problem and the Solution. with Andrea Parrot. (New York: Lexington Press, 1993.)
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Asylees and Refugees: A Comparative Examination of Problems of Integration" in Managing Ethnic Diversity after 9-11: Internal Security and Civil Liberties in Transatlantic Perspective, ed. Ariane Chebel d¹Appollonia and Simon Reich. (New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2010).
- "Trauma and Forgetting: Producing Epistemologies of Ignorance in the Political Asylum Process", with Amy Shuman, Identities. 14 1-27 (2007).
- "Representing Trauma: Political Asylum Narrative." With Amy Shuman. Journal of American Folklore.117 (466): 394-414
- "Domestic Violence Law Reforms: Reactions from the Trenches," with Denise Bronson, Jennifer Brandt, and Helen Hartnett. Journal of Sociology and Welfare 29 (2001.)
- Review of "Just Words: Law, Language, and Power," by John M. Conley and William M. O'Barr. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science (March, 1999.)
- "Family Law," an entry for The Philosophy of Law: An Encyclopedia. (New York, NY: Garland Publishing, 1999).
- "Law and Legal Theory" Reading Women's Lives. (Needham, MA: Simon and Schuster and Ohio State University Custom Publishing. 1998.)
- "Notions of Equity and Fairness in the Context of Divorce". with Marilyn Ray. Mediation Quarterly 14 (1996.)
- "Relations Between Psychiatry and the Judicial Process," in Stuart S. Nagel (ed.), Research in Law and Policy Studies, vol.4. (Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1995.) pp. 233-251.
- "Failure and Success in Self-Help Groups for Victims of Professional Sexual Exploitation," Journal of Community Psychology 23 (1995.) pp.190-199.
- 2009 - "Asylees and Refugees; follow up" paper resented at workshop Integration and Security: Muslim Minorities and Public Policy in Europe and the United States. CEVIPOP, Sciences Po, Paris March 19.
- 2009 - "Legal and Cultural Frameworks for Understanding Documentation in the Political Asylum Process" with Amy Shuman, paper presented at the 50th Annual International Studies Association, New York City February 15-18.
- 2008 - "The Political and Cultural Production of Identity in the Political Asylum Process" with Amy Shuman. Presented at the Law and Society Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada, May.
- 2008 - "Asylees and Refugees: A Comparative Examination of Problems of Integration." At workshop Rethinking Integration: The Transatlantic Challenges of Migration and Ethnic Groupness in Contemporary Democracies Fondation National Des Sciences Politiques. Paris, France. May.
- 2006 - "The Personal and the Political in Determining Asylum Claims" with Amy Shuman, presented at the International Society of Political Psychology, Barcelona, Spain, July.
- 2005 - "Interrogation and Narative Regulatory Practices in the Political Asylum Process," with Amy Shuman, presented at the American Folklore Society Meetings, Atlanta, GA., October 21.
- 2004 - "Trauma and Forgetting: Producing Epistemologies of Ignorance in the Political Asylum Application Process" with Amy Shuman, presented at the International Society of Political Psychology, Lund, Sweden, July.
- 2002 - "The Asylum Application Process: Framing Narratives for the Immigration and Naturalization Service," with Amy Shuman, presented at the Law and Society Meetings, Vancouver, Canada, May 30-June 1.
- 2002 - "Asylum Bureaucracy and Discourse," presented at the International Studies Association, New Orleans, LA. March 23-27.
- 2001 - "Style and Self Representation in Refugees' Asylum Applications." with Amy Shuman, presented at the Annual Meetings of the American Folklore Society, Anchorage, AK, October 17-21.
- 1999 - "Getting Redress Through Regulatory Complaints: The Case of Professional Sexual Misconduct," presented at the 25th Annual Meeting, International Academy of Law and Mental Health, Siena, Italy, July 12-14.
- 1999 - "The Language of Advocacy in Domestic Violence" presented to Law and Society Meetings, Chicago, IL. May 27-30, 1999.
- 1997 - "How Laws are Passed When Few Care: Criminalization of Therapist/Patient Sex." presented at the Law and Society Meetings, St. Louis, MO, May 29-June 1.
- 1996 - "Working in the Shadow of the Law: Legal Issues in Campus Sexual Assault." Keynote Address at New England College Sexual Assault Network, Cambridge, MA, May, 1996.
- 1995 - "Regulating Professional Sexual Misconduct: Does it Work and How Can You Tell?" presented at the Law and Society Meetings, Toronto, Canada, June 1-4.