Associate Professor of French and Italian
Ph.D. Yale University
337 Dartmouth Hall
- Early Modern Italian Literature and Culture, in particular seventeenth-century
- Fairy Tales
- Popular Culture
- Dialect Literature
- Baroque Metamorphoses: Cultural Shifts in Seventeenth Century Naples (in progress).
- The Enchanted Boot: An Anthology of Italian Fairy Tales, translations, introductory essays, and notes (forthcoming 2013).
- Giambattista Basile, The Tale of Tales or Entertainment of Little Ones, translation, introduction, and notes (2007).
- Carol Collodi, The Adventures of Pinocchio, translation and introduction (2002).
- From Court to Forest: Giambattista Basile's "Lo cunto de li cunti" and the Birth of the Literary Fairy Tale (1999).
- Out of the Woods: The Origins of the Literary Fairy Tale in Italy and France.
Recent and Forthcoming Articles
- "Little Heroes, Epic Transformations: Giulio Cesare Cortese's La Vaisseide (1612) and the Neapolitan Mock-Heroic' (in progress).
- "Literature in Naples, 1500-1800," in a Companion Guide to Early Modern Naples (Leiden: Brill, forthcoming).
- "The Translation of Enchantment: On the Transmission of Fairy Tales," in The Fairy's Charm: An Anthology of Tales and New Critical Perspectives, J. Schacker and C. Jones (eds.), forthcoming 2012.
- Chapters on "Pompeo Sarnelli," "Salvatore Scarano." and "Luigi Serio," in Fairy Tales Framed: Early Forewords, Afterwards, and Critical Words, Ruth Bottigheimer (ed.), forthcoming 2012.
- Articles on "Italian Tales," "Giambattista Basile," Giovanni Boccaccio," "Italo Calvino," "Luigi Capuana," "Giuseppe Cocchiara," "Carlo Collodi," " Grazia Deledda," "Carlo Gozzi," "Vittorio Imbriani," "Luigi Malerba," "Pier Paolo Pasolini," "Emma Perodi," "Pompeo Sarnelli," "Giovan Francesco Straparola," in Encyclopedia of Folktales and Fairy Tales (2008).