Skip to main content

Employee Procedures

Employees having the need to apply for approval as a College Approved Driver must:

  • Have a need to operate a vehicle for use in connection with College business, and hold a valid US or Canadian driver's license.
  • Complete an Employee Driver Application form. The form must be printed before completing.
  • The application, along with a copy of the employee's driver's license, must be delivered or sent to Transportation Services, HB 6111, for a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check.
  • All employees applying for approved driver status must complete an on-line Defensive Driver course administered by Transportation Services.
  • Upon successful completion of the Defensive Driver course, the employee's name will be added to the Approved Drivers Listing.
  • It is expected that all approved College drivers will comply with local and state requirements, as well as the Dartmouth College Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Policy (located in each College vehicle).
  • Once the above criteria has been met, employees having the need to operate a VAN need to call Transportation Services at (603) 646-2340 Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. or e-mail Driver Safety to schedule a road test time. There is a $50.00 charge. When calling to schedule a road test please submit a chart string.
  • To become MICROBUS certified call Transportation Services at (603) 646-2340 or e-mail Driver Safety to schedule a road test time. There is a $50.00 charge, please submit a chart string when scheduling the road test. 24-hour notice is required if you need to cancel please call (603) 646-2340. PLEASE DO NOT E-MAIL. The charge may be imposed if you do not cancel.
  • For Employees hired to drive vehicles with the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) + 10,001 LBS must be D.O.T Certified every two years.  You may make an appointment at College Health Services at Dick’s House for re-certification, call 603-640-9401 The Employee DOT physical form can be found at
  • Vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) +26,001 lbs., or Hazardous Materials Placard requires a Commercial Driving License (CDL) and drug and alcohol testing. For more information please contact Parking and Transportation Services.

Last Updated: 1/24/17