Sayles Application Instructions
Student Research Program
Read the Student Research Guidelines
General Application Instructions
- Review the application materials in its entirety. If you have questions, contact the Ethics Institute at 646-1263 or via email.
- Decide on a research arrangement that fits your interests and, if off-campus, discuss these arrangements with a sponsor for that agency/ institution/ organization. Select a Dartmouth faculty member who is willing to act as your advisor in designing the research, in providing a sounding board during the research, and in evaluating your work.
- Estimate your budget for expenses during the research period. Costs may include:
airfare, bus, subway, automobile (55.5 cents per mile)
hotel accommodations, housing (not considered an expense if living at home)
Items generally covered:
- tapes, computer disks, film
- photocopying or library materials
- fees for translators, coding interviews
- long distance call related to research
- rental equipment
Items generally NOT covered:
Items NEVER covered:
- tape recorders
- retroactive funding for research already done
Prepare the proposal:
- which should be written in consultation with your
- must succinctly state your research topic, its
significance and anticipated results;
- must be written so that it is understood by a well-
- must be no longer than two typed, double-spaced pages.
Submit one original copy of each of the following to the
Ethics Institute's Executive Director by the application deadline:
- the application cover page; (Form #1)
- the budget page; (Form #2)
- the 1-2 page proposal describing your proposal;
- the Faculty Advisor Endorsement (Form #3)
signed by your faculty advisor.
- if research is conducted off-campus, the completed
Sponsor's Statement (Form #4). Off-campus sponsors
must also complete and return the Sponsor Evaluation
Interim Report (Form #5)
- if research will be conducted outside the United States,
the Acknowledgement form (Form #6) must be completed
and returned before final approval of the research award and release of funds.
Student Application Forms
For a complete packet of the above instructions as well as all forms and general information, please contact the Ethics Institute at 646-1263 or come to our office at 6031 Haldeman Center, 2nd floor.