An author and social scientists trained in political science and anthropology who holds a concurrent research Professorship in the Department of Community and Family Medicine. Dr. Miller has spent more than 12 years in Eastern Africa and taught at all three major universities there. He is also President of the African-Caribbean Institute, a UN and Ford Foundation supported research organization. He has led development projects for the UNDP, WHO, UNAIDS (HIV/AIDS prevention), and UNEP (African wildlife evaluation). His current interests are in African environmental issues global health and human rights (poverty and violence), At Dartmouth he has taught several courses in the area of Cross-Cultural Medicine and Traditional Healing.
- Encounters with Witchcraft: Field Notes from Africa, (2012). A memoir covering four decades of field research on occult issues in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. (forthcoming)
- Kenya: The Quest for Prosperity, by Norman N Miller, Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1984, second edition, 1994 (with Rodger Yeager).
- AIDS in Africa: The Social and Policy Impact, by Norman Miller and Richard Rockwell, editors. Lewiston, NY: Edwin Mellen Press, 1988. (In association with the National Council for International Health).
- Wildlife, Wild Death: Land Use and Survival in Eastern Africa by Rodger Yeager and Norman N. Miller, Albany, New York: SUNY Press, 1986.
- The Rural African Party: Political Participation in Tanzania by Norman N. Miller. The American Political Science Review, vol. LXIV, no.2, 1970.
- Political Mobility and the Pedestrian Society, The Canadian Journal of African Studies, Winter, 1970.
- The Political Survival of Traditional Leadership by Norman N. Miller, Journal of Modern African Studies, vol.6, no 2. 1968.
Previously Taught Courses
- ENVS 7: The African Environment
- ENVS 50: Senior Seminar
- ENVS 85: International Environmental Affairs
- ENVS 90: Independent Study
Office: 113 Steele