Rich Howarth is an environmental economist interested in the concept of sustainable development and its applications to energy policy, climate stabilization, and ecological conservation. His work emphasizes mathematical models of the links between economic growth, natural resources, and environmental quality, focusing on the integration of economic efficiency, ecological sustainability, and distributional fairness in the design of policies and institutions.
- Gerst, M. D., R. B. Howarth,and M.E. Borsuk. 2010. Accounting for the Risk of Extreme Outcomes in an Integrated Assessment of Climate Change. Energy Policy 38: 4540-4548.
- Turaga, R. M. R., R. B. Howarth,and M.E. Borsuk. 2010. Pro-Environmental Behavior: Rational Choice Meets Moral Motivation. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1185: 211-224.
- Ackerman, F., S. J. DeCanio, R. B. Howarth,and K. Sheeran. 2009. Limitations of Integrated Assessment Models of Climate Change. Climatic Change95: 297–315.
- R. B. Howarth. 2009. Rethinking the theory of discounting and revealed time preference. Land Economics 85: 24-40.
- C. Zografos and R. B. Howarth (editors). 2008. Deliberative ecological economics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- J. Gutrich and R. B. Howarth. 2007. Carbon sequestration and the optimal management of New Hampshire timber stands.Ecological Economics, 62:441-450.
- K. Nyborg, R. B. Howarth, and K. A. Brekke. 2006. Green consumers and public policy: On socially contingent moral motivation. Resource and Energy Economics 28: 351-366.
- Howarth, R. B. and M. A. Wilson. 2006. A theoretical approach to deliberative valuation: aggregation by mutual consent. Land Economics, 82:1-16.
- Howarth, R .B. 2005. The Present Value Criterion and Environmental Taxation: The Suboptimality of First-Best Decision Rules. Land Economics, in press.
- Sneddon, C., R. B. Howarth, and R. B. Norgaard. 2006. Sustainable development in a post-Brundtland world. Ecological Economics 57: 253-268.
- R.B. Howarth, 2004. Calibration Bias in the Analysis of Environmental Taxes. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 86:813-818.
- ENVS 3- Environment and Society
- ENVS 12- Energy and the Environment
Professor Richard Howarth
Environmental Studies Program
106 Fairchild Hall
Hanover, NH 03755
Web Page: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~rhowarth/
Faculty Directory: http://dfd.dartmouth.edu/directory/show/286