The Richard and Jane Pearl Professor in Environmental Studies
Andrew Friedland's research focuses on understanding the effects of atmospheric deposition of pollutants and biomass harvesting on elemental cycling processes in high-elevation forests of New England and New York. He considers many elements including carbon, trace elements such as lead, and major elements such as nitrogen and calcium. He also is examining issues related to personal choices, energy use and environmental impact.
- Buchholz, T., A.J. Friedland, C.E. Hornig, W.S. Keeton, G. Zanchi and J. Nunery. 2013. Mineral soil carbon fluxes in forests and implications for carbon balance assessment. Global Change Biology-Bioenergy 5(3)DOI: 10.1111/gcbb.12044.
- Stankwitz, C., J.M. Kaste, and A.J. Friedland. 2012. Threshold increases in lead and mercury from tropospheric deposition across an elevational gradient. Environmental Science and Technology dx.doi.org/10.1021/es204208w.
- Friedland, A.J., R. Relyea and D. Courard-Hauri. Essentials of Environmental Science, 1st edition. W. H. Freeman. 2012. 403 pages.
- Friedland, A.J., R. Relyea and D. Courard-Hauri. Environmental Science: Foundations and Applications. New York: W.H. Freeman. 2012. 650 pages.
- Zummo, L.M. and A.J. Friedland. 2011. Soil carbon release along a gradient of physical disturbance in a harvested northern hardwood forest. Forest Ecology and Management 261:1016-1026.
- Kaste, J.M., B.C. Bostick, A.M. Heimsath, E. Steinnes, and A.J. Friedland. 2011. The dynamics of Al, Fe and Mn in aging organic matter: Insights from the dating of soil layers. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75:1642-1661.
- Friedland, A.J. and K.T. Gillingham. 2010. Carbon accounting a tricky business (letter). Science 327:410-411.
- Writing Successful Science Proposals, Second Edition by A.J. Friedland and C.L. Folt. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009.
- ENVS 2- Intro to Environmental Science
- ENVS 12- Energy and the Environment
- ENVS 89 - Forest Biogeochemistry
Professor Andrew Friedland
Environmental Studies Program
6182 Steele Hall, Room 111
Hanover, NH 03755
Web Page: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~ajf/
Faculty Directory: http://dfd.dartmouth.edu/directory/show/284