Course Requirements 2012:
- Paper I (5 page) 15%
- Paper 2 (10 page) 25%
- MidTerm Exam 15%
- Group Project Presention: A Proposal to Fix Healthcare 20%
- In-Class Participation & Attendance: 10%
- Final Exam: 15%
One five-page and one ten-page research paper are required. Before you begin writing your paper, you are required to turn in a one page abstract that outlines the topic you will be addressing along with a preliminary list of references.
Final Draft Due:
September 26, 2012
October 3, 2012
Friday, October 19, 200pm
Friday, October 26, 2:00pm
Paper assignments will be distributed in class.
Paper 2 Assignment: Download paper2assign_2012.pdf
- email file to Mary Moul (email)
- deliver hardcopy to Mary Moul, Cummings 227C at Thayer School
Late papers are strongly discouraged. A late paper will lose one full letter grade for each day it is late. Any paper turned in more than three days late will not be accepted. If you have a legitimate problem or medical excuse, please contact Professor Robbie ( email) as early as possible for accommodation.
In the outlines you should explain:
- The topic you are going to address.
- An outline of the structure you are going to take.
- The list of sources you intend to use.
Group Project Presentation:
Proposals for REDESIGNING US HEALTHCARE for 2020:
With four or five other students, you’ll prepare a group presentation with your proposal on how to fix the healthcare system by 2020.
November 7, 2012 - 2:00pm
|November 13, 2012 - 2:00-5:00pm|
For this assignment, we will be working in groups exploring innovative ideas for addressing US healthcare crisis by designing a new comprehensive system of healthcare. The challenge of this assignment is to identify critical needs, envision solutions, and to develop a synthesis that includes the major areas that impact our health: Private Healthcare, Public Health, and National Security.
Download Final Assignment PDF: FinalProject Assignment.pdf
Presentations will be on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:00-5:00 Plan and practice for presentations to be no more than 12 minutes in length. Presentations will be timed. (1-minute grace period, 5% grade penalty if overtime). All group members should share in the presentation. Refreshments will be provided.
- Analysis of compelling needs in US healthcare (both now and future trends)
- Proposal for US Healthcare System 2020
- Overall Goal
- Key Specifications for each section
- Concepts for Innovation (including how different elements reinforce your overall goal and integrate into your whole system)
- Financial plan
- Scenario(s) - use stories to vividly show how your new systems will work.
- (Alternative: you may choose to go into greater depth in creating a synthesis of two major areas vs. all three major areas.)
Healthcare System: Outline Due: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 2:00 pm -
Create a comprehensive outline of your background research, key findings, ideas and proposals.
- Email to your Mary Moul (email), and your TA.
-20% of project grade.
Recommendations for Paper Writing -
In your papers we'll be looking for solid research, imagination, and really good writing (clear and well organized). To help maintain good paper organization, you are strongly encouraged to Use APA format.
Use APA format with headings and standard citations. A separate page with bibliography of sources is required. Please use line spacing of 1.5, standard margins, and 11pt or 12 pt type.
- Create an outline before you begin writing,
- Use outline topics as headings to organize your paper [APA Formatting Style],
- Use the paragraph as unit of organization .