Requirements for the Classes of 2004 and 2005
The English major comprises at least eleven courses, including:
- At least one course from each of the four Period Groups, listed below. Students are strongly advised to fulfill these requirements early--no later than the end of junior year.
- At least one course from the Single Author Group, listed below.
- One course from outside the English Department, in a related discipline, approved as part of the major by the C.D.C. member who signs the major card.
- Four additional courses selected from those numbered 14-74 and 90-91, and Comparative Literature 72. These four courses may also include one from the group numbered 81-83. (Note: English 80, a non-major course, is prerequisite to the three courses numbered 81-83. English 96 does not normally count as a major course.) It is advisable to include a Special Topics course (65-69) among these electives, prior to taking the Senior Seminar or Honors course.
- As a Culminating Experience, English majors must take a Senior Seminar (English 70-74) (one credit), or the Honors course (English 98, two terms/two credits). (Note: The Culminating Experience course must be taken after the sophomore-junior summer term.)