Leon D. Black Professor of Shakespearean Studies and Professor of English
Ph.D, Princeton University
219 Sanborn House
My primary interest is dramatic literature: Shakespeare, the other playwrights of his time, and English-speaking drama in general.
- Shakespeare I (English 24)
- Modern British Drama (English 54)
- Advanced seminar on Hamlet (English 70)
- Humanities 1/2
- Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle, and Drama. New York: Oxford University Press, revised edition, 2000.
- The Court Comedies of John Lyly: A Study in Allegorical Drama. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1969.
- (editor) Thomas Middleton, A Mad World, My Masters, in The Complete Works of Thomas Middleton, gen. ed. Gary Taylor. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005 (forthcoming).
- William Shakespeare: Comedies, Histories and Tragedies. 36 lectures on videotape and audiotape. Springfield, VA: The Teaching Company, 1999.
- Shakespeare: The Word and the Action. 16 lectures, with scenes performed by David Glass, Lisa Walker, and Peter Saccio, on videotape and audiotape. Springfield, VA: The Teaching Company, 1995.
- Modern British Drama. 8 lectures on videotape and audiotape. Springfield, VA: The Teaching Company, 1994.