Professor of English
Edward Hyde Cox Professor in the Humanities
Chair, Department of English
Ph.D., Brandeis University
English 38: The Nineteenth-Century English Novel
English 66: Henry James
English 66: Jane Austen
English 67: William Faulkner
- Reading Constellations: Urban Modernity and Victorian Fiction, Oxford University Press, forthcoming (2014).
- "Racial Strategies in Jane Eyre," Victorian Literature and Culture (2009).
- "'In the Cage': Henry James's London", Publications in American Studies, University of Naples (2008).
- "Travel in James's The Ambassadors," Arizona Quarterly (2006).
- "Geographies of Paradise," CR: The New Centennial Review (Spring 2003).
- "Revisions of Whiteness: Racialization, Capitalism, and Aesthetics in Stoker's Dracula," Novel (2002)
- Producing American Races: Henry James, William Faulkner, Toni Morrison, Duke University Press, 1999.
- Public and Private: Gender, Class, and the British Novel (1764-1878). Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1997.
- "Spacing and Placing Experience in Toni Morrison's Sula." Modern Fiction Studies (1996)
- "William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying: Experience in Passing." South Atlantic Quarterly 90 (1991): 579-632.
- Heroic Commitment in Richardson, Eliot, and James. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1986.