Manuals & Procedures
The following links are to on-line versions of our instruction documents. Other written instructions may also be available. The quick start versions are reminders for those who have been trained. All users must be trained by Facility staff prior to using instruments on their own. Additional documentation is available from Facility staff. There are also links to user-editable pages (wikis) where users can put settings, hints for others, or other useful information regarding the various instruments. Some documents are restricted and are available only via sftp. These are on the E. M. Facility sftp server. Contact Facility staff for access information.
Specimen Preparation Protocols
User Notes for all instruments. (from the Notes Swiki)
- FEI Company XL-30 FEG-ESEM. Quick start XL-30 and complete manual (17.1MB pdf) via ftp.
- User notes for XL-30 SEM. A place to note user hints for the XL-30 SEM, the HKL EBSD system, and the EDAX X-ray system. Problems should be recorded in the log book and reported to Facility staff.
- HKL Technology EBSD analysis system manuals are located here (27MB pdf) via ftp. For user notes, use the XL-30 pages (link above).
- X-ray microanalysis (SEM or TEM): The Genesis X-ray Microanalysis (2.7MB pdf available via ftp) manual covers basic spectral acquisition and analysis, while the imaging manual (3.1MB pdf available via ftp)) covers digital imaging from the EDAX system, and the mapping manual (3.1MB pdf available via ftp)) covers elemental line scans and area maps. For user notes, use the XL-30 pages (link above).
- Nanometer Pattern Generation System (NPGS), a direct-write e-beam lithography package on the XL-30. The operator's manual is available via ftp.
- NPGS operational notes.
- JEOL 1010 transmission electron microscope basic operation and quick start via ftp.
- User notes for JEOL 1010 TEM. A place to note user hints for the 1010 TEM. Problems should be recorded in the log book and reported to Facility staff.
- FEI Company Tecnai T20ST FEG TEM analytical electron microscope. A user interface manual (8.6MB pdf) is available, as are column alignment (1.4MB pdf) , and column description (8.5MB) files (all via ftp).
- User notes for Tecnai F20. A place to note user hints for the Tecnai TEM (perhaps pointing out particularly good alignment files, etc.). Problems should be recorded in the log book and reported to Facility staff.
- Hysitron Ubi-1 NanoIndenter user guide is available via ftp. The Ubi-1 user notes are located here.
- WITec CRM200 confocal Raman microscope documents are available via ftp. They include the Operation Manual, Scan Control Spectroscopy Plus manual covering data acquisition, WITec Project manual, and a Tutorial on High Resolurion Microscopy. Also avialable is WITec Project data analysis software for use on Windows computers.
- CRM200 User Notes.